OpenSprinkler Forums OpenSprinkler Unified Firmware Compiling and Uploading to 2.1 via Mint Linux Image

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

rosstified

Hi,

I’m trying to make my first deployment to OpenSprinkler v2.1 (fully assembled) via the Mint Linux image provided. I installed the driver to windows as required, and can see the USBasp in the devices menu of the Virtual Box software.

When trying to upload (using example code, verifies ok) – I get the error:
    Binary sketch size: 34,196 bytes (of a 65,536 byte maximum)
    avrdude: Warning: cannot query manufacturer for device: error sending control message: Operation not permitted
    avrdude: error: could not find USB device “USBasp” with vid=0x16c0 pid=0x5dc

I have put a screencast of what I am doing here: http://screencast.com/t/sCWSMdne8

Please help! Can’t wait to try and contribute to the project, but cant seem to get past step one!

Thanks,
    Ross.

Ray
    Keymaster

1. In Arduino, you need to select menu Tools -> Boards -> OpenSprinklerHW 2.1 (12MHz, USBasp, orange terminal block). I suspect I haven’t updated the VirtualBox image with 2.1 profile, so in case you don’t see this option, you can copy the boards.txt in the Github repository:
    https://github.com/rayshobby/opensprinkler/blob/master/OpenSprinkler%20Controller/software/arduino-code/hardware/aopensprinkler/boards.txt
    to your Arduino installation folder:
    arduino/hardware/aopensprinkler/boards.txt
    and overwrite the existing boards.txt. This should fix the first issue (i.e. sketch too big)
    2. You need to run Arduino either in sudo, or alternatively add VID 0x16c0 PID 0x5dc to /etc/udev/rules.d/xxxx.rules, where xxxx.rules is one of the existing rules files in that folder. I think (need to double check) the one in VirtualBox image is named 60-microchip.rules. Just follow the existing lines to make a new line with the VID/PID pair. This should solve the second issue.

Overall the issues you encountered is because I haven’t updated the VirtualBox image yet 🙁 Will get this done soon 🙂

Ray
    Keymaster

This post is similar to what I just posted in the SquareWear thread, basically, it’s an updated and improved VirtualBox image 🙂

>>
    A quick note that I’ve uploaded a pre-configured VirtualBox Linux Mint 13 image to the following url:
    http://rayshobby.net/software/rayshobby-VB.7z
    this is intended for users who are having trouble installing the USB drivers in Windows 8 and/or 64-bit, and the image has pre-installed Arduino, OpenSprinkler 1.x, 2.x source code, and SquareWear source code. It allows you to set up a virtual Linux (you need to install VirtualBox software) and it can pass through all USB devices to the virtual OS, so you can compile an OpenSprinkler or SquareWear program and upload it to the microcontroller directly in the virtual OS, without any driver installation.

Please use 7-zip or WinRAR to decompress the above file (the reason it’s in 7z format is that it’s a more efficient compression scheme that results in 50% smaller file size). Once you decompress, there is a README.pdf in the package with further instructions.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

OpenSprinkler Forums OpenSprinkler Unified Firmware Compiling and Uploading to 2.1 via Mint Linux Image