OpenSprinkler Forums OpenSprinkler Mobile and Web App Control via iphone app, with mobile hotspot

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Farmer Luke
    Participant

Hello,

I apologize if this has been asked before. I want to use a DC Open Sprinkler at a remote orchard, multiple zones, using a 100 ah battery charged with solar. There is obviously no internet access of any sort.
    Is it possible to use my iphone mobile hotspot, connect open sprinkler to that, and then control it using the app on the same iphone? Or do I need to bring a laptop and use the iphone as a wireless router, logging into and controlling the open sprinkler on the laptop?

Thanks for producing this device by the way, there is really no competition for an application like this, and I’m very happy to have found it.

Thanks,

Luke

Ray
    Keymaster

Yes you can use your iPhone’s hotspot, you don’t need to bring a laptop. Though, it may be easier to just set up a wireless router there, so that when you are on site you can use any device to connect to the same router and communicate with OpenSprinkler that way. The reason is that the firmware performs checking periodically to see if it’s still connected to the router, or otherwise it will attempt to reconnect. Having a router there makes sure it doesn’t lose connection when you take your iphone away. Wireless routers these days can be purchased at about 10 bucks, and you don’t have to provide Internet access to the router.

Farmer Luke
    Participant

Thanks for the quick reply Ray!

Got my open sprinkler today- excited to start using it.

In regards to your answer, I certainly don’t mind using a router, the only concern is it uses power off the battery also and I don’t want to get to a point where my solar panel can’t keep up. Is it really necessary? What will happen if I don’t? Note, I will be checking in with the timer probably once a week.

Also, I didn’t see on the specifications what the peak power is? I’m wondering what size fuse to use to protect it and the wiring. (I’m using a 12 volt battery).

Ray
    Keymaster

Just a heads-up about the upcoming firmware: in firmware 2.1.8 (to be released by this weekend), we added support for AP mode functions — all functions (except NTP syncing and weather data, obviously due to lack of Internet) are enabled in AP mode. This way the controller itself behaves like a router, and your computer or mobile app can directly communicate with the controller, you can set programs or start/stop zones directly without an external router.

Regarding peak power: the controller itself draws about 150mA in resting state (this is mainly the power needed by the WiFi chip). Each opening valve adds another few hundred mA of current draw.

Farmer Luke
    Participant

Thanks! That is great news. I’ve been using one iPhone as a hotspot and another to control it. That works pretty good as long as I remember to bring the old one.
    Thanks again for the product- it enables me to provide precise watering and when you live in California that’s necessary. I especially like the logs.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

OpenSprinkler Forums OpenSprinkler Mobile and Web App Control via iphone app, with mobile hotspot