OpenSprinkler Forums Comments, Suggestions, Requests Difference between latching and non latching valve?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Fr_garden
    Participant

Hello
    I am a newbie in home automatic irrigation. I look to to built a small drip irrigation network from a spring with solar panel on 12 volts with WiFi connection. I will have an irrigation pump with pressure switch or standard switch, 82 feet pipe long ø 1/2″ then 80 feet pipe long ø 3/16″ and 100 drippers. A second zone will control mist nozzle in a smal greenhouse. To choose the right version of Opensprinkler (DC or latch), what is the difference between latching and non-latching valve?
    If my pump don’t have pressure switch, can I control it with a standard automotive 12 volts relay?
    Thanks

Fr_garden
    Participant

Hi
    Thanks to Wikipedia I have the answer : A latching relay or valve (also called “latch”, “impulse”, “bistable”, “keep”, or “stay” relays or valve) maintains either contact position indefinitely without power applied to the coil. The advantage is that one coil consumes power only for an instant while the relay is being switched, and the relay contacts retain this setting across a power outage. It’s perfect for solar panel use.
    Regards

Ray
    Keymaster

Correct — latching is more power efficient, suitable for low-power (e.g. battery or solar powered) applications. But latching valves are likely to be more expensive and the control circuitry is more complicated than non-latching ones.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

OpenSprinkler Forums Comments, Suggestions, Requests Difference between latching and non latching valve?