Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author

Cosmacelf
    Participant

What happened to nice white plastic enclosure that the earlier versions of OpenSprinkler seemed to have? When you go to buy OpenSprinkler 3.0, it says it comes with an OLED display, but the pictures just show a circuit board encased in some clear plastic and brown side pieces with no display.

Cosmacelf
    Participant

wiggum_guy
    Participant

Are there any plans for an Opaque enclosure to be released? Or are there any 3d printed versions out there for the ambitious to place 3.0 guts into. I am not a fan of the clear enclosure and don’t want to have this showcased in my mancave.

Cosmacelf
    Participant

I agree wiggum_guy, the current clear enclosure with the smaller and harder to read OLED display is a step backwards IMHO. There is definitely an opportunity here for someone to license the hardware and software and make a commercial version that looks nice and has customer support. Of course, the price would be 2x what it is now. OpenSprinkler certainly has more features and is more capable than anything else out there.

Ray
    Keymaster

We have ordered injection molded enclosures for OpenSprinkler 3.0 — the design and production took so long (almost an year) that we couldn’t afford to wait for them to be done before we release 3.0 (multiple delays occurred and it wasn’t clear how long it would take). Right now is Chinese New Year and nothing is getting shipped so we are still waiting for the enclosures to arrive.

wiggum_guy
    Participant

Ray,

How did your enclosure order turn out? Are you going to sell them commercially or just ordering for yourself. This is probably my next project and would like to buy one if you have extra on hand.

zeddy
    Participant

Since my current controller is acting up I was thinking about buying the 3.0 version, but not with the current case, has the injected molded case arrived yet?

Cosmacelf
    Participant

Even though my controller was in my garage, I ended up installing it inside this Orbit weatherproof box:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000VYGMF2

The box is lockable, comes with a GFCI receptacle so you can weatherproof your transformer (I replaced the GFCI receptacle with a regular one), has two knockouts for power and signal wires. It even has a false bottom so that you easily screw your Open Sprinkler boxes onto the bottom and not worry about poking through the back.

Cosmacelf
    Participant

Inside the box…

Attachments:

Anonymous
    Inactive

I got one of these, it’s similar to the Orbit box but less expensive. I think someone here recommended it. Mine is in a shed so no real need for the fancy box.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00RB5HUY6/

Ray
    Keymaster

@wiggum_guy: we finally received the OpenSprinkler 3.0 injection molded enclosure and have just started shipping OS3.0 with the new enclosure. It took a year from when we started designing the enclosure to receiving the end product…

Cosmacelf
    Participant

@Ray, do you have pictures of the new enclosures? Do you have a new enclosure for the expansion ports too?

Nanodot
    Participant

Cosmacelf: that is the route I am going for an outdoor box for on my OSBee based project.
    jeffhaas: i kinda liked getting the GFCI in the box (Orbit) for the extra $10 since i am on the outside wall of the house. Otherwise it is a good price.

Ray
    Keymaster

Jonas
    Participant

@ray: If I order a 3.0 now (from here or from Germany (Schlaugarten.de)), will I get the new enclosure?

Ray
    Keymaster

Yes, the German distributor has the latest version with injection molded enclosure. It’s probably a good idea to write to them and confirm.

deem
    Participant

Hi, i am using with great satisfaction the 3.0 for a year now. However the enclosure is the simple brown version. Is it possible the order only the enclosure as a sparepart.
    Deem

Ray
    Keymaster

Unfortunately not — the screw holes on the circuit board of the acrylic enclosure do not match the injection molded enclosure, so the circuit board won’t fit in the new enclosure. However, if you absolutely need the injection molded enclsoure, send a support ticket and we can arrange for something.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.