OpenSprinkler Forums Hardware Questions OpenSprinkler ESP8266 Datasheet and Logic Levels questions

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

DaveTheWhiteAsian
    Participant

Hey Everybody,

I’ve been searching the internet for a Datasheet for the ESP8266 but have been unsuccessful at this point. If anybody has this could you shoot it my way?

… we’re having trouble with the interface between the master and slave modules. Looking through the schematics and probing voltages, it appears that the slave module’s I/O expander operates on +5V, while the master module generates 3.3V logic signals. It looks like these 3v3-logic signals are at the cusp of being interpreted by the PCA9555 I/O expander on the slave module. Has anyone else found this?

Ray
    Keymaster

ESP8266’s technical documents are all listed here:
    https://www.espressif.com/en/products/socs/esp8266

PCA9555 is a I2C device, for I2C device, because the data lines are pulled high by the microcontroller, and the slave devices only pull these data lines to ground, it’s ok to have a 3.3V microcontroller interfacing with a PC9555 powered by 5V. 3.3V is within the high logic range of PCA9555, so this works fine.

PeterTheRed
    Participant

Hi Ray, Thanks for the response. My name is Peter, and I’m working with Dave on this issue.

Looking at the datasheet for the PCA9555, I see that VIH, input HIGH voltage for SDA/SCL pins > 0.7 * Vdd. (see attached screen capture)

For Vdd = 5.0V, 0.7*Vdd = 3.5V, which is higher than the 3.3V logic signals generated by the MCU.

I’m working on adding a FET based level shifter to this ckt and some local pull-ups to 5V on the slave-side to see if that doesn’t resolve things.

Thanks,
    Peter

Attachments:

Ray
    Keymaster

Yes, I am aware of the datasheet, but we’ve never had any problem using 3.3V ESP8266 to drive 5V PCA9555. If you believe it’s a problem you can simply add a diode in series between 5V and PCA9555’s VCC pin, so that will drop 0.7V and supply 4.3V to PCA9555. This way 3.3V/4.3V > 75%.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

OpenSprinkler Forums Hardware Questions OpenSprinkler ESP8266 Datasheet and Logic Levels questions