OpenSprinkler Forums Hardware Questions Ethernet not linking

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

mrburns42

My setup is rather strange. I started by purchasing the expansion board, as I was originally going to connect to an existing microcontroller project. That design never got completed. Recently, I realized that some surplus Arduino stuff I had would populate a good portion of the board. I purchased the remaining parts from Digikey minus the LCD. The LCD is not needed because the board will eventually be mounted in my crawlspace and will not be visible.

The board works, but it never links to the Ethernet. If I attach it to a Ethernet switch, the link lights on the switch never come on. I could not get the code from 1.7 and above to compile small enough to fit in the Arduino. (However, I did try several of the later precompiled versions and they did not link either.) Therefore, I took the 1.5 firmware and converted a good portion of the LCD code to serial printouts to try and debug it. The Arduino also believes that the Ethernet link is not up. It calls IsLinkUp() which returns false and the system just hangs polling for the link to come up before rebooting.

The 25MHZ clock is running on the enc28j60. The voltage at the bias resistors of the Ethernet transformer is about 1.5V which is what I would expect. The voltage on the 2.43K resistor is also about 1.5V.

My questions are :

1. The Interrupt line of the enc28j60 is routed to a thru-hole labeled “Enable”. I am supposed to connect this somewhere? Right now it is open circuit.

2. My HW is version 1.1. The board has some unpopulated resistor locations near the Ethernet transformer, R9 and R10. I cannot find these on the schematic. Am I suppose to have something installed there?

3. Is there something special I have to do to activate the enc28j60 part?

Thanks.

Steve

mrburns42

FYI,

I think I figured out at least part of my problem. The PCB that I am using, dated Dec 2011, appears to have the pinout of the Ethernet Jack incorrect. The PCB was fine for the kit that I purchased, which was the sprinkler expansion board. My error was assuming that I could then upgrade to the full board later by adding the missing components.

My next step will be to remove the Ethernet Jack and see if I can cut the existing traces so that I can jumper wire the board to the correct configuration.

mrburns42

OK, rewiring the Ethernet jack to the ENC28J60 fixed the link problem. The board is now linking to the Ethernet switch. I still fail to obtain a IP Address, so future battles remain.

As a hint for anyone else with this issue, the datasheet from Digikey for the Pulse Jack is not correct. They show a pinout for the jack that is labeled PCB component side. What they should have said was PCB solder side. Due to their incorrect drawing , I wired it up 180 degrees out the first time. When the wiring is correct, you should read only a few ohms resistance between pins 16 and 17. Likewise, only a few ohms resistance between pins 12 and 13. The low resistance is the windings of the transformer in the jack. If you read 100 ohms, then the jack is not correctly connected. Also pins 16 and 17 should show only a few ohms to +3.3V. This is the center tap of the transformer making that connection.

Steve

Ray
    Keymaster

Hi Steve,

Sorry that I didn’t notice this thread yesterday. Since the first version of OpenSprinkler,Ethernet Jack has been changed a couple times to reduce cost: initially Pulse J00-0061NL, then SparkFun’s Ethernet jack, and now Hanrun HR911105A. Unfortunately these jacks have very different pinouts, so it’s important to know exactly which part to use for each PCB. Particularly, the extension boards are sometimes using undocumented PCBs. If you need, I can send you the schematics, but in general I don’t provide part number or build instructions for undocumented PCBs.

The Dec 2011 PCB uses SparkFun’s Ethernet jack: https://www.sparkfun.com/products/8534
    Hope this helps.

mrburns42

Thanks for the part number of the Ethernet jack, Ray. That will help anyone else attempting to do this same thing. For me, I already cut the traces on the PCB, so I will just stick with the Pulse Ethernet jack. I ordered this jack based on the Version 1.1 BOM. At the time I ordered, I had no clue that the Version 1.1 PCB I had was different than the Version 1.1 BOM.

As a side note, I had too many printf statements in my code and I was not waiting long enough for DHCP to complete. It does get a IP address and I can view to web page from my local network. So it is all working with version 1.5 firmware.

Steve

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

OpenSprinkler Forums Hardware Questions Ethernet not linking