OpenSprinkler Forums Third-Party Software Finishing up python script to monitor pump supply…

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

JimS
    Participant

I have extended ospiLCD to look at pump pressure via the a/d on OSPi and send emails when pressure is out of range. When it gets too far out it will reset the active zones and send an email. I started with ospiLCD mainly because it was a fairly simple place to start that used the API. I used total minutes as an indication the system was running – pump master zone would be better I suppose but I didn’t know quite how to do that. I disabled the LCD display but left the code in the file so it can be used if needed. I changed it to run a while loop forever rather than relying on cron to rerun it as I needed to do some timing. I haven’t finished testing it but would welcome some other eyes on it and testing. For others wanting to put together something in python using the API I suggest they look at ospiLCD if they need some info with how things are done.

What’s the best/preferred way to share the code? It’s about a 10k file size.

Samer
    Keymaster

You could use a gist: https://gist.github.com/

Ray
    Keymaster

Is this a direct modification to the firmware? If so, perhaps make a pull request?

JimS
    Participant

Not familiar with how github works – I have only gotten a few files there – but a pull request looks like a good way to go. I will look into that.

nbo
    Participant

Hi Jim,
    I am interested in adding the exact feature you have been talking about (pressure sensors across a filter) Did you get it to work?

JimS
    Participant

It works very well. I have one sensor on the output of the filter and detect when it gets too low due to a plugged filter or problem with the pump pickup and shut down the system. I also have it send me an email 1 minute after startup of the pressure and notice if it shuts down. I have been meaning to post it somewhere but haven’t figured out github yet… I will try to do that.

JimS
    Participant

I finally put this on github. Not really familiar with how github works so I may have done some things in a non-preferred way but it is here:

https://github.com/jimls/ospiLCD

It works. Not claiming it is good coding… 🙂

I see it includes the original files which wasn’t my intent. My files are the new ones.

Hope this helps others…

wifi75
    Participant

with the new firmware it no longer works

JimS
    Participant

I never got any reports that anyone got this working. That would be useful and nice to know. You say “it no longer works” – was it ever working for you? Surprised it doesn’t work because the API probably hasn’t changed. I don’t intend to update firmware (at least at this point) so it works fine for me and I have limited time to support this but I would welcome others additions/improvements/etc. Without more information it’s going to be hard for anyone to help you.

Atkinson
    Participant

Hi Jim,

I am interested in adding a pressure sensor to my system as well to do two things. First, shut off the irrigation system based on a set pressure. Second, record the water pressure when the system is running. Any help you can share is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Dan

Ray
    Keymaster

This will require modifying the firmware. I don’t know what type of pressure sensor you have, and what type of signal it outputs. Attaching such a sensor to the controller requires figuring out how the controller can read the signal from the sensor.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

OpenSprinkler Forums Third-Party Software Finishing up python script to monitor pump supply…