OpenSprinkler Forums OpenSprinkler Unified Firmware Firmware 2.2.0(1) official released

Viewing 8 posts - 26 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Author

eschurig
    Participant

I am trying up update my firmware to os_220. I have OS3.0 hardware and am or was connected via wifi. Per the firmware update guide, I downloaded the lastest firmware bin file (os_220_rev2.bin). in my browser I type http://192.168.0.111/update. I then selected the downloaded bin file, put in my password and hit submit. The screen says uploading please wait and has been that way for 20 minutes. How long does this process take? Does this mean the update has failed. Not sure what to do here. Thanks for any help you can give. If on the wrong thread please let me know where to go. I’ve been using open sprinkler for years but have never updated firmware or had any problems so I’m not real familiar with this forum.

One other note is that my LCD screen on the unit has been dead for years. The update process didn’t seem to require it so I went ahead.

Ray
    Keymaster

It shouldn’t take that long. It should be under 1 minute.

You can replace the LCD yourself. Go to
    https://openthings.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/articles/5000859137-troubleshooting-and-technical-help
    scroll down to “My controller’s LCD went bad. How can I get it replaced?” there are instructions there.

once your LCD is working, when you power on you can check the firmware version displayed on the LCD. If it says 2.2.0(2) then it means the update is successful. If it’s still showing the old firmware, you can file a support ticket and arrange for it to be sent back to us so we can update the firmware for you.

eschurig
    Participant

I have successfully completed the update. The browser page never did say complete as I was expecting. Maybe I misunderstood. I power cycled the device after about 20 min and then looked to see if it showed up in my wifi wap list and sure enough there it was. I connected to it as a wap and did the setup. After reloading my configurations everything was back to normal. Phew!

eschurig
    Participant

Thanks for the reply. I will look into replacing the display.

My goal in doing the upgrade is to be able to access OpenSprinkler remotely. After succeeding with the firmware update, I successfully obtained a token from openthings. I also successfully enabled the token in my opensprinkler device. The Integrations OpenThings Cloud indicates Connected.

I have not been able to figure out how to add the device to my iphone app. I have one device in the app that I have been using when connected to my local network. I went through the add device with an OpenThings Cloud connection type. I wasn’t sure what the OpenSprinkler Name should be. Should it be the same as the device name I was using for my local network connection or should it be the Device Description I gave to OpenThings when obtaining my token? I tried both.

1. When I gave it the same name I was using for my local network connection, I seemed to be left with only one device using the token. It worked when I was connected to the local network but when I got out of range I just got a network error.

2. When I gave it the same name as my OpenThings device description it created a second device but I was still not able to control OpenSprinkler remotely.

Trying to figure out where to go from here. I guess I could try it from a browser. Any insights would be appreciated. Thanks.

Ray
    Keymaster

The name is just a descriptive name for you to remember which device it is. You can put in any name you want. The important thing is you need to add a new device/site, and choose add using ‘OTC token’. Then copy and paste your OTC token there.

Did you take a look at our tutorial video? It shows you step by step instructions on how to get OTC to work and how to use it.

https://openthings.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/articles/5000860920-videos-introduction-to-opensprinkler-v3

the third video explains all new features of the firmware.

eschurig
    Participant

Thanks for the information. I figured out what my problem was and will explain even though it’s a little embarrassing. I went to a remote location (away from my home network) where a wifi connection was available. I was able to connect to my open sprinkler controller without issue. This made me realize the problem was in my cellular connection. I went to settings and cellular data in my iphone and discovered that the open sprinkler app had cellular data disabled. DOH! I’m writing this just in case it might help someone else who makes the same mistake. Thanks again for your responses. Best regards.

The remote connectivity allowed me to turn off my sprinkler before it ran through a big rain storm. Further, my new OS display arrived today:-)

zsolesz79
    Participant

Hello Ray,

I’m trying to compile the latest version on GitHub, but getting the following error:

fatal error: OpenThingsFramework.h: No such file or directory

How can I solve this problem?

zsolesz79
    Participant

nvm, managed to find the missing libraries in the platformio.ini file, compiled successfully 🙂

Viewing 8 posts - 26 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

OpenSprinkler Forums OpenSprinkler Unified Firmware Firmware 2.2.0(1) official released