OpenSprinkler Forums OpenSprinkler Unified Firmware Firmware Update Issue

• This topic has 5 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by Ray.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

seockwig
    Participant

I am trying to update the firmware on my OS2.1 from 2.1.2 to 2.1.3. Previously I had used an old netbook running Windows XP to update the firmware. Recently I received a Windows tablet and thought I would try updating the firmware using that. The tablet is running full Windows 8.1(not RT) and does have a full size USB 2.0 port built in.

I followed the instructions from here : https://opensprinkler.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/articles/5000381694-update-opensprinkler-firmware-with-downloads- to install the drivers for Windows 8. With the drivers installed I connected the USB and booted the OS into firmware load mode. The tablet beeped indicating that it had found the OS; I launched the firmware update utility and I could see the OS was found and recognized. When I clicked on Upload Firmware; I immediately received a Failed message in the utility. When I looked up to check the USB connections I noticed that the OS had finished booting. I unplugged the USB cable and the OS shutdown. I ran through the step again with the same results.

I did some testing and here is essentially what I found. If I don’t start the firmware update utility I can hear the tablet find the OS and the LCD screen on the OS stays off. When I launch the firmware update utility I can see the software finds and recognizes the OS as version 2.1 with firmware 2.1.2. At this point the OS boots up and the software can no longer see it. If I run a Detect Device from the utility it comes back with failed. So it looks like something in the update software is causing the OS to finishing booting once it’s been detected by the tablet?????

Anythoughts? I know it’s nothing major, and I can probably dig out the XP netbook to do the update. But being able to run the update from my tablet would be great.

Thanks!

Ray
    Keymaster

Note that after you click on ‘Detect Device’, the controller will exit bootloading mode, therefore you will need to re-enter bootloading mode before clicking on ‘Upload Firmware’. If you already know your OpenSprinkler hardware version (2.1 according to you), there is no need to click on ‘Detect Device’ — you can simply select the hardware version from the dropdown list — the ‘Detect Device’ feature is really meant for users who don’t know or forgot which version they have.

seockwig
    Participant

I think that was the trick; because it worked the first attempt I did.  I could’ve sworn I tried uploading the firmware with out doing the detect; but apparently I didn’t or I missed something at that time.

So for future reference here are the exact steps I took:

• I did not have the Firmware Updater started on the tablet
    • Connect the USB cable to my tablet.
    • Plugin the USB cable to the OS while holding down B2.
    • Release B2 after 1 second
    • Wait for the tablet to beep; indicating that the OS was recognized by the system
    • Launch the Firmware update software
    • DO NOT DO AUTO DETECT…the LCD screen on the OS should stay blank.  If it doesn’t restart the process.
    • Select the Device from the drop down….in my case it is OpenSprinkler_v2.1
    • Select the Firmware to upload
    • Click Upload Firmware

Thanks for the quick response!

piaband
    Participant

The part where you say, select firmware to upload. You mean that is choosing the firmware you want to upload to the opensprinkler?  I thought you select your current firmware. This could be why I’m having problems if so.

seockwig
    Participant

Yes, that is why you could  be having a problem. When you select the firmware version to upload, that is what is being sent to the controller.  So you will want to select the newest version in the list.

Hope that helps!

Ray
    Keymaster

When you select the hardware version, the updater program will automatically select the latest firmware by default. However, you can manually select a previous version of firmware (for the reason that if you don’t like the latest firmware you can downgrade to a previous version).

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

OpenSprinkler Forums OpenSprinkler Unified Firmware Firmware Update Issue