OpenSprinkler Forums OpenSprinkler Unified Firmware Firmware Update Problems (Hardware version 2.1)

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 26 total)
  • Author

jayhawkfan
    Participant

I’ve been trying to update to the latest firmware off and on for several months. Now that watering season is approaching, I really want to get this working. Here is what I’ve done (on two different Windows 7 machines):

1. Downloaded the latest firmware updater for hardware 2.1

2. Successfully downloaded the latest firmware using the firmware updater.

3. Installed drivers with Zadig. Windows said drivers installed successfully.

4. Put the device in bootloading mode (B2 while plugging in the USB cable). Not sure if this is right but screen stays dark and computer makes a noise like USB was plugged in (dadoink)!

5. Clicked on Detect Device.

The firmware updater says DETECTING DEVICE FAILED. I have repeated these steps countless times with no success. Am I missing something? I have used two different Windows 7 computers and have the same results. Any help would be appreciated

seockwig
    Participant

I was running into the same problem with my Windows 8 tablet.  When I clicked on Detect Device it would cause the OS to boot up and then it would fail to upload or detect the device unless I shut it down and started over.

Here are the steps I took and it worked for me:

• I did not have the Firmware Updater started on the tablet
    • Connect the USB cable to my tablet.
    • Plugin the USB cable to the OS while holding down B2.
    • Release B2 after 1 second
    • Wait for the tablet to beep; indicating that the OS was recognized by the computer
    • Launch the Firmware update software
    • DO NOT DO AUTO DETECT…the LCD screen on the OS should stay blank.  If it doesn’t restart the process.
    • Select the Device from the drop down….in my case it is OpenSprinkler_v2.1
    • Select the Firmware to upload
    • Click Upload Firmware

Hope that helps!

Ray
    Keymaster

There are two common issues with upgrading 2.1:
    1. If the button is pressed too long, Windows will think the device has lost response. So make sure the button is released within 1-2 seconds after the USB cable is plugged in (this has been mentioned in the instructions).
    2. If you click on ‘Auto Detect’, the controller will exist the bootloading mode, so before clicking on ‘Upload Firmware’ please enter bootloading mode again. In fact, if you already know you have OS 2.1, you can directly select it from the dropdown list, and there is no need to do ‘Auto Detect’. Auto detect is only there for users who don’t remember which hardware version they have.

Hope this helps.

jayhawkfan
    Participant

Thanks for the info. My main problem had been clicking Auto Detect. Now the problem seems to be the driver. I loaded the drivers on a Windows 7 box using Zadig. Zadig reported that the drivers were installed successfully. When I try to upload the firmware, it fails and the output log says

avrdude: error: could not find USB device “USBasp”

What should I see in device manager under USB? When I plug in the opensprinkler in bootloading mode, the device manager window flashes as if it’s updataing but I don’t see any new device under USB?

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Ray
    Keymaster

When you try to upload the firmware, is OpenSprinkler in bootloading mode? As I said earlier in the thread, if you already know you have OpenSprinkler 2.1, there is no need to click on ‘Auto Detect’. In any case, before uploading firmware, make sure OpenSprinkler is in bootloading mode.

Once it’s in bootloading mode, Windows should detect it as a device under libusb-win32 section, and the name of the device is USBasp.

Also, make sure that when you enter bootloading mode, do NOT press the button for too long. If the button is not release within 1-2 second, Windows thinks that the device has lost response.

aruzsi
    Participant

Hi,

I’m not able to connect to my v2.1 (?) Spinkler. Firmware is 2.0.5. The 24V power connector is orange.

I tried Windows and Linux. Detect is failed. Upload: nothing happen. How long does it take to upload the new firmware?

No log.txt and my Linux detected the USBasp device. That’s all.

Ray
    Keymaster

@aruzsi: for OpenSprinkler 2.1, the instructions are:
    1) Unplug 24VAC, unplug USB (if it’s already connected)
    2) Plug one end of the USB cable to your computer
    3) Press and hold button B2, plug the other end of USB to OpenSprinkler
    4) Release B2 two seconds after USB is plugged in

The LCD screen should remain off. If it lights up, that means you have to hold B2 a bit longer. The device should show up as a USBasp device, and if you are in Windows, you will be promoted to install driver if driver is not already installed.

For additional details, please check the firmware update tutorial:
    https://opensprinkler.freshdesk.com/solution/categories/5000022938/folders/5000099521/articles/5000381694-update-opensprinkler-firmware-with-downloads-

aruzsi
    Participant

Hi, I’m under Win 7 64 bit. I followed what you wrote. I connected the USB cable and I think I released B2 button as fast as I can. The LCD is blank.

I checked the version the back of the box: 2.1.

Something is not perfect.

Uploader said: Uploading firmware.

Please wait…

Failed.

Check log.txt for detail

The log:

====== K márc. 24 13:39:25 2015 ======
    Error uploading firmware.
    ====== K márc. 24 13:40:55 2015 ======
    avrdude: error: could not find USB device “USBasp” with vid=0x16c0 pid=0x5dc

I’ve got USBasp device under Device manager.

TIA,

aruzsi
    Participant

Hi,

I reinstalled (?) the libusb driver under Win 7 and the detect and upgrade was successfull! 😉

I don’t know what is the problem with the Linux version. Ubuntu 14.04 64 bit. I wasn’t able to use the uploader program.

Always failed the detect and/or upgrade. Can you check it?

TIA,

Ray
    Keymaster

In Linux, you will need to run the Updater program in ‘sudo’ (or add the USB VID/PID pair to /etc/udev/rules.d/). This is a USB-permission thing in Linux.

aruzsi
    Participant

I run Updater program as root, of course. It doesn’t communicate with Sprinker. And I didn’t find log.txt.

Ray
    Keymaster

log.txt is in the osFWUpdater folder — the folder where the program resides.

piaband
    Participant

@aruzsi

I am having the exact same error logs as you had. Only I am on a Windows 7 laptop. I guess I will try a different laptop.

aruzsi
    Participant

Hi,

Firs of all, install the right driver for USBasp. It is very important!

Follow the procedure what you can read above. For me the driver check was worked, too, when the correct driver

was installed.

Under Linux, the upgrade software doesn’t work at all. Kernel can see the USBasp, it is on the lsusb list and

in the dmesg messages but the program not communicate with Sprinkler hw (Ubuntu 14.04.x 64 bit).

Ray
    Keymaster

In Linux, you can actually bypass the updater program (it’s just a GUI) and run command line directly. The command that it runs internally is:
    avrdude -c usbasp -p m644p -U flash:w:xxx.hex
    where xxx.hex is the firmware file name. Make sure you are flashing the correct firmware (for example, if you have hardware 2.1, all available firmwares for that version are under the OpenSprinkler_v2.1 subfolder). Just enter bootloader, and run the above command. The updater is simply a GUI wrapper for the above command.

aruzsi
    Participant

OK, thanks for the command line.

I advice write it somewhere in the readme.

If the program is just a simple GUI I think the command line won’t work, either. 🙁

Ray
    Keymaster

I don’t understand what you mean by “If the program is just a simple GUI I think the command line won’t work, either.”?

Tom
    Participant

So frustrated trying to update the firmware on my OS 2.1.  I got the drivers installed (Win7) and the device manager says the USBasp device is working properly.  I connect it up while pressing B2, release (screen is not lit; blank) and the firmware update always fails…  I’ve tried every variation & other suggestion I read on the forums but it still won’t go.  Any more ideas for troubleshooting this?

====== Wed Apr 15 20:36:56 2015 ======

====== Wed Apr 15 20:37:07 2015 ======

avrdude: error: could not find USB device “USBasp” with vid=0x16c0 pid=0x5dc

====== Wed Apr 15 20:37:07 2015 ======

Ray
    Keymaster

I honestly have no idea. If Windows’s Device Manager reports it found USBasp and there is no question mark or acclamation mark, it means the device driver is installed correctly. Did you click on ‘Detect Device’ before ‘Upload Firmware’? Since you already know you have OS 2.1, you can skip ‘Detect Device’, just simply select OpenSprinkler_v2.1 from the dropdown list and click on ‘Upload Firmware’ (assuming the device is in bootloading mode prior to clicking on ‘Upload Firmware’).

TechFan
    Participant

Just in case it helps.  I had trouble updated my hardware 2.1 OS today as well. . .but on my Macbook Air.  I found that I couldn’t have anything else plugged into my usb ports, or it wouldn’t be able to find the device.  I suspect it has to do with the amount of power provided to each port. . .after unplugging all USB devices, I re-entered the special B2 mode and didn’t detect (this bumps my OS out of B2 mode), but manually picked my device level and firmware level. . .then it worked.

Maybe that will be helpful.

TechFan
    Participant

The idea that Samer had for temporarily putting the firmware file on the SD card via upload from the web interface then processing from there might be something to pursue.

Samer
    Keymaster

There are technical reasons this isn’t possible, particularly on current hardware but it’s something we’re absolutely looking into for hardware 3.0.

TechFan
    Participant

Hm.  I thought when we discussed that before, it had looked possible.  Download firmware file to SD, then run flashing command from within the device.  Obviously, you would know though.  Lol.

Samer
    Keymaster

The boot loader on the current hardware cannot load a firmware from the SD card which is the reason it isn’t possible right now.

Lambert
    Participant

Just wanted to mention that I too have had problems updating the firmware on both Linux and Windows. At some point in time I succeeded using Linux once, but wasn’t able to reproduce it later. Couldn’t remember which Linux and which specific steps. In all cases detect device never found the device.

However using a MacBook Pro (OsX 10.9.4) it worked flawlessly. Both the detect hardware and the upload firmware (after entering the boot-loader a 2nd time) worked without a hitch. I don’t own a MacBook and was lucky I had access to one. It’s not a solution of course, but it could help someone get past this problem temporarily.

I haven’t tried the command line yet so I will try that the next time I need to update.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

OpenSprinkler Forums OpenSprinkler Unified Firmware Firmware Update Problems (Hardware version 2.1)