• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

John
    Participant

Can the mobile app work on a server that doesn’t have 777 permissions set on the installed folder?

I want to install this on my web server but my host won’t allow writable directories because it is a security risk.

Samer
    Keymaster

Hey John,

You and your host are correct that 777 is a security risk. The only reason this is done is to create the config.php, .cache, SprinklerChanges.txt, and .htpasswd.

If you create these files manually (using config-example.php) and give the .cache and .htpasswd appropriate permissions it’ll work fine. Furthermore, you can move these files outside of the web root and just tell the config.php where they are.

If you need further assistance please ask.

John
    Participant

Ok, thanks I will work through it tonight and see if I can work it out.

Samer
    Keymaster

This has me thinking, I could just make a config folder instead of requiring the main directory to have 777 and change the permissions to a safer level after installation.

Hopefully I can get this implemented to avoid future headaches.

John
    Participant

Outside of web root too?

Samer
    Keymaster

Yes, even currently you can place these files outside of the hosted directory (except config.php itself). Just put the correct absolute path in config.php

John
    Participant

Does config currently need to be 777 after the initial install? Some the settings that can be changed via the app need to write to config.php, correct?

Samer
    Keymaster

Sure, so long the web server has proper write permission it’ll be fine.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.