OpenSprinkler Forums Hardware Questions DIY Kit Assembly Questions HW & FW versioning question

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Mikey
    Participant

Hey everyone! First time caller, long time listener…

I’ve dipped my toe into the OpenSprinkler world recently and scooped up a used unit to get familiar with it. It is version 1.3u of the hardware, thus I assume that I bought a DIY kit put together by the seller.

My question pertains to FW upgrading. Can I assume that the latest FW update that this model can take is v.1.83?

I’m curious since I also have a HA system with a plugin available to interface with OpenSprinkler, but it appears to only do so with v.2.x of the API (which I understand is quite a bit different). In effect, I’m trying to discern whether I have the time to debug it to work with my current, older unit, or whether it’s worth the investment to buy a newer model.

I apologize for the newbie question relative to the highly technical discussions going on elsewhere, so I’d appreciate anyone being able to point me in the right direction here.

Thanks, in advance!

Ray
    Keymaster

The latest firmware for 1.x hardware is firmware 1.8.3. If your OpenSprinkler is already running 1.8.3, then that’s the latest for 1.x hardware.

What is a HA system?

Mikey
    Participant

Hi Ray,

Thanks for taking the time to respond, and for confirming my suspicion!

As to my question, I have a HomeSeer Home Automation system, and someone has developed a plugin to interface with OpenSprinkler – see http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=169682 for those details.

Anyway, this was initially how I learned of your product. Intrigued at the potential of tying my irrigation to this, I wanted to see how this was going to work at a relatively low cost.

As I think things have turned out, the plugin appears to use the v. 2.x API to talk to the unit – I can’t say that authoritatively, but rather based on my anecdotal experience with installing a variety of versions of the plugin without successful integration to the v. 1.83 unit that I have.

I’ve handed down some of my older HA stuff to my dad to tinker with, and I think he could get use of this older unit since that platform (Vera Systems) does appear to have a v. 1.x API-compatible plugin.

Again, I appreciate you taking the time to respond. This community is extremely well served by you, which makes your product line very attractive to novices like me to experiment with the support.

-Mike

Ray
    Keymaster

Got you. Yes, the Vera plugin seems to be based on the older API and hasn’t been ported to support the newer API yet. So it’s likely a better fit for you.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

OpenSprinkler Forums Hardware Questions DIY Kit Assembly Questions HW & FW versioning question