OpenSprinkler Forums OpenSprinkler Unified Firmware HW v2.1 unstable above firmware v2.09

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

kevin
    Participant

I bought a 2.1 retail package last year and am just now getting to use it.  I first set the IP settings and broughtit up and was able to access what I would describe as a text-only website.  I don’t know what firmware was on the device originally as I don’t remember but I imagine the text only website is an indication.  Also, I do not have sticker to show the hardware version on the back of the device but per the firmware upgrade website, it is v2.1 because the power connector is orange.

I then found out that firmware version 2.1.2 was the latest firmware and updated it per the instructions successfully.  After doing that and re-entering the IP details on the device, it was very unstable.  Sometimes I couldn’t login, other times I couldnt access the website at all.  The diagonal arrow would show up indicating the device couldnt ping the router.  I removed the wireless bridge and connected directly to my switch without change.  I also rebooted it several times with no resolution.  Then I decided to roll back to the previous firmware version.  I repeated this until I got to 2.09 where the problem was resolved.  It’s been running for 2 days and several reboots while moving it around without any issues.  I know  there are bugs that have been fixed since 2.09 and I’d love some advice on how to upgrade to the latest version without the instability.

Thanks in advance.

Ray
    Keymaster

This is not an issue I am aware of. I have a testing OS 2.1 and I have just flashed firmware 2.1.2 to it, tested for 5 minutes on different devices (laptops, phone app, pads) and I didn’t find any issue. Just to make sure: after upgrading to firmware 2.1.2, did you change any settings/options, or did import? If so, what settings/options did you change?

gary
    Participant

I ran into this issue.

do you have more than one unit on your network (maybe the new 2.1 and an older one)?

They all have the same mac address so they collide if they have more than one.  You can set the device id under options;advanced to another number from the first unit and restart, that solves the mac address conflict.

kevin
    Participant

@Ray I changed the IP address, gateway IP and NTP address.  I did not import any config.  I tested with chrome browser on PC and android.  I don’t remember changing the NTP address after flashing 2.09, could it be that?

@gary
    this is the only OS I have and it happened with and without the wireless bridge and it stopped happening after 2.09 firmware.

Ray
    Keymaster

Well, the NTP address can potentially affect the response, especially if the controller can’t reach the NTP server and will have to periodically re-check the NTP server. I suggest leaving all options at their default values (i.e. use DHCP, don’t change NTP), and see if it’s still unstable.

Regarding MAC address: prior to OS 2.2, there is no MAC chip on the controller so the MAC address is software defined. To distinguish multiple controllers on the same network, the Device ID is used to differentiate the last byte of the MAC. Since OS 2.2, an ID chip is added so that each one has different MAC address.

kevin
    Participant

@Ray, I reflashed to 2.1.2 and selected NTP to off.  Same results, flaky web access and after a minute the diagonal arrow stays on forever.

Ray
    Keymaster

The diagonal arrow means the controller is trying to ping the router. If it stays for more than a brief moment, that means it can’t ping the router. Firmware 2.0.9 does the same, so I can’t think of a reason why they produce different results. Also, the diagonal arrow shouldn’t stay on forever — each ping has a time out and the arrow should not display more than the time out (a couple of seconds).

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

OpenSprinkler Forums OpenSprinkler Unified Firmware HW v2.1 unstable above firmware v2.09