OpenSprinkler Forums OpenSprinkler Unified Firmware ICMP Requests to Router

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

sgruby
    Participant

I’m running OS 2.1.6 and just moved it to its own VLAN to start isolating my IoT devices. I’ve noticed that OS is sending an ICMP type 8 request (echo) to the router.

2017-02-08 13:54:40 Warning (4) KERNEL [IOT_TO_ROUTER-default-D]IN=eth1.1003 OUT= MAC=<SOME MAC> SRC=10.0.3.3 DST=10.0.3.1 LEN=84 TOS=0x00 PREC=0x00 TTL=64 ID=0 DF PROTO=ICMP TYPE=8 CODE=0 ID=1283 SEQ=1

Is there a reason it is doing this? Just curious.

Thanks!

Ray
    Keymaster

Thanks for reporting this. I will have to take a closer look at the EtherCard library to see what may have caused this. The OpenSprinkler firmware relies on the open-source EtherCard library, and this ICMP request may be related.

ShawnHarte
    Participant

It is a heartbeat ping to check connectivity to the router. Honestly it is not needed, but totally harmless. Unless you impose serious restrictions to device traffic this should never cause an issue. Other devices like the nest thermostat will do the same thing to establish and maintain a certain IP address. Essentially it never let’s the connection go stale resulting in a new DHCP assignment.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

OpenSprinkler Forums OpenSprinkler Unified Firmware ICMP Requests to Router