OpenSprinkler Forums Hardware Questions OpenSprinkler Pi (OSPi) Improve hardware access with a simple case hack

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Dan in CA
    Participant

I tried this as a quick experiment but it worked much better than I expected so I thought it was worth passing along.

The case of the OSPi/OSBo is nice and clean looking. The only drawback is the way the cover is attached with screws from the back of the base plate. I like to tinker and was thinking it might be nice if there was a set of pins instead of screws so the cover could be press-fit from the front. It could then be removed without unmounting the entire unit.

Looking around the house I found a wire coat hanger with wire that just fit the screw holes of the cover. The wire is about 1.8mm in diameter (13AWG ?) and slides easily into the cover.

I made a couple of pieces (shown below) using a wire cutter and pair of pliers. Filed the ends to round off the sharp edges.

[attachment=1:4jsqisq8]Pins.jpg[/attachment:4jsqisq8]

Tested them in the cover:

[attachment=2:4jsqisq8]cover_w_pins.jpg[/attachment:4jsqisq8]

When the wires are inserted from the back of the base plate and the cover is press-fit from the front it is held in place quite securely.

[attachment=0:4jsqisq8]OSPi_w_pins.jpg[/attachment:4jsqisq8]

The wires hold the base plate away from the wall slightly but not enough to be a problem. It may also be possible to glue four pins into the base plate but I think the method shown here is much stronger. It also allows for using screws later if desired.

It takes a fairly strong pull to remove the cover. It is a good idea to hold down the edges of the base plate and rock the cover side-to-side slightly when taking it off.

Dan

Dan in CA
    Participant

I could only attach 3 image files to the first post but I wanted to include this one:

[attachment=0:1djf1nde]Wire part.jpg[/attachment:1djf1nde]

Dan

Ray
    Keymaster

Cool, very clever. Thanks for sharing!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

OpenSprinkler Forums Hardware Questions OpenSprinkler Pi (OSPi) Improve hardware access with a simple case hack