OpenSprinkler Forums OpenSprinkler Unified Firmware LCD settings do what in 2.1.6 firmware?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

kabbak
    Participant

No doubt I’m an idiot, but I don’t perceive any effect on the 2.x hardware Opensprinkler from the LCD contrast/brightness/Idle sliders.
    FW 2.1.6 on HW 2.3-AC.
    Specifically, I’d like to be able to keep the backlight on enough to be able to read the lcd w/o having to hit a button. Makes it easy to check all’s well.
    The manual seems mute on this subject.
    Thanks for any guidance on this.

Ray
    Keymaster

This is actually a bug in firmware 2.1.6, and I apologize for it. Basically since a little while back we’ve switched to use I2C LCD, and these types of LCDs don’t allow changing contrast or brightness (but it does allow turning backlight on/off). The ‘dimming’ parameter supposedly can be used to keep the backlight on (if the dimming value is more than 0, it keeps the backlight on). But due to a bug in firmware 2.1.6, it ignores the dimming value for I2C LCD. We have started working on firmware 2.1.7 and it has been addressed there.

If you need this to be fixed right now, we can send you a custom firmware with this issue fixed. Otherwise, if this is not urgent, please wait for firmware 2.1.7. Thanks.

kabbak
    Participant

I can wait. It would be nice to be able to adjust the brightness though. e.g., dim (not off) when idle as I suspect you had planned.
    What, no PWM for the backlight drive :)?
    Thanks.

Ray
    Keymaster

This particular I2C LCD does not have brightness adjustment capability. While it’s possible to use software simulated PWM, I suspect it’s going to be quite slow and may cause flickering. By the way you can email [email protected] and ask for a replacement green-colored LCD. We’ve recently started using green-colored LCD and the characters are visible even when the backlight is off. So this would work a lot better than the blue-colored LCD without having to upgrade firmware.

kabbak
    Participant

Hi Ray,
    Thanks for the reply. I understand.
    That LCD swap may be just the thing. I only really need the backlight when it’s dark so visibility when off should be the priority. Thank you!
    Best,
    Keith

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

OpenSprinkler Forums OpenSprinkler Unified Firmware LCD settings do what in 2.1.6 firmware?