OpenSprinkler Forums Hardware Questions OpenSprinkler Pi (OSPi) Linux Noob need help for an update

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Tobi
    Participant

Hello,

I´m using The ospi since two jears via Iphone apps.

On the last update I´ve understood that also an update for the ospi are available…

I´ve checked th Firmware on ospi, can it be that´s 1.8.3?

I´dont have found an easy instruction houw to made the update, can someone help me a little bit or would it be easier to prepare an additional SD card and take an finished image?

Thanks

Thomas

navy2x
    Participant

You should definitely update. There are many new features. Also, the firmware is now unified, meaning the OSPi, OSBo, and original OS all use the same code making new updates easier and available for all types at the same time. To update follow this tutorial:

https://opensprinkler.com/forums/topic/tutorial-install-opensprinkler-unified-on-a-fresh-raspbian-image-for-a-pi-2/

In order to connect to your raspberry pi you’ll need to use Putty (windows) or Terminal (osx).

These are the official instructions if you need more info:

https://opensprinkler.com/forums/topic/announcing-opensprinkler-unified-firmware-2-1-4/

Tobi
    Participant

Thanks navy2x,

I followed your first link, yesterday I´ve burned an 2nd SD card, but with your instruction I was able to get it running in 30min…

Just the old config was not accepted, the most time was used to prepare a new programm..

Thanks, now I´ve to work on the rain sensor, the board realize that it have a connection but it don´t works…

I belive for that I should open a new question, or is there any additional update what I´ve passed for the rain sensor?

Regards

Thomas

Ray
    Keymaster

Can you be more specific about the rain sensor not working part? Note that some rain sensors are normally open and some are normally closed. Make sure you have selected the correct type.

Tobi
    Participant

Hi Ray,

I´m also not an electronic expert.. but it looks the the RainBird Rain Check 21 MR11 are not compatible with the Ospi..

Hopefully the pic upload are working..

I´ve meassured the resistance when the pins are in the water and not, but I´ve not seen an differance….

Tobi
    Participant

One note, so far I can remember on the original Main-Rainbird controller the sensor was simply in row between the ground of the valves and the controller pin.

Should be meen to open the loop when it rains.. or?

Regards

Thomas

Ray
    Keymaster

For controllers without rain sensor port, it’s typically to use a normally closed rain sensor connected in series on the COM (common) wire. That way, the rain sensor is normally closed, allowing valve actions; when it rains, the rain sensor becomes open circuit and disables watering. OpenSprinkler has a rain sensor port and allows software-defined rain sensor actions. The only thing you have to make sure is that the sensor should be a simple on/off switch, not an analog switch. The one that you posted: I am not sure what type of rain sensor it is.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

OpenSprinkler Forums Hardware Questions OpenSprinkler Pi (OSPi) Linux Noob need help for an update