OpenSprinkler Forums Hardware Questions OpenSprinkler Low Pressure ( no pressure ! ) system – What's the best valve to use ?

Tagged: 

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

martianable
    Participant

Hello All,
    I have built a system in preparation for an OpenSprinkler controller ( that’s going to be the coolest part of the whole thing right ?! ) But now I feel a little disappointed due to the fact that the valve is not opening properly –
    The system starts with a 275 G Rainwater harvesting bin and then runs to an area with a pre-filter and then the line runs to an Orbit valve –

Orbit 57281 Female Pipe Threaded Auto Inline Sprinkler Valve, 1″

I modded the pre-filter to accept a 1/4″ pressure gauge and my suspicions are correct that the system has VERY LITTLE pressure – but it does push the needle off the pin of the 1/4 pressure gauge so there’s a tiny amount of pressure at the valve.

I am searching for a 24 vac adapter to test everything using the valves power, but I don’t holdout much hope as I have completely unscrewed the valve solenoid to see if it would open ( I know, I went past the 1/4 turn recommended ! ) but to no avail – the valve remains closed –

I will be posting images to the image section of the forums here in case anyone wants to see ( and laugh ) at all the work I did that I cannot use now !!

Thanks in advance for any help you may be able to provide –

martianable
    Participant

Here’s the link to the project pictures in this forum – Rainwater – Gravity Fed Drip Irrigation

atom
    Participant

For valves that will and do last decades, buy Bermad. I have ones that have been in continuous daily (not winter) since the 90s. They are the best. Valves and filters, and pressure regulators look for Bermad, manifolds Tavlit and emmiters/drippers Australian or Israeli commercial brands.

Israel and Australia make the best stuff because they are basically desert environments. Can be very much cheaper than “home” irrigation brands too, like 70%+ cheaper if you buy them buy the bag. Plenty of spares too for less than “home” gear.

Mike
    Participant

Could you pressurize it with a pump?

martianable
    Participant

thanks Atom !

martianable
    Participant

Sorry Mike – not in the design – I thought about that but would rather keep things gravity fed the entire way through the system – I suppose we will find out if that will be enough pressure once every emitter is in place.

Ray
    Keymaster

The common sprinkler valves on the market require pressurized water to close properly — they generally should open without much problem; but when closing they need internal pressure build-up to properly close the valve. If your water source has low pressure it won’t close the valve completely. There are other types of valves that do not require water pressure, but exactly where to buy those is beyond my scope of knowledge.

martianable
    Participant

Thanks Ray – I appreciate your response –

I am returning the original valve ( orbit diaphragm style ) for a motorized ball valve – it was a bit more expensive, but it looks and feels like the real deal –
    I decided to go with a non-solenoid style – ( a solenoid would always revert to closed – or open – when it loses power ) – instead I am choosing to use a valve that only needs a few seconds of power to open or closed and then remains in that state without power – I’ll be writing some code to ensure it functions properly if there’s a power outage – it’ll all be controled by a ‘nodemcu esp8266’ arduino type device – here;’s a link to the valve and the nodemcu –

VALVE – http://a.co/6iQB1xh

ESP8266 – http://a.co/cpKyLDF

Mike
    Participant

Why a 12v DC stay open valve instead of a 24v AC auto closing ball valve?

Ray
    Keymaster

I am guessing that 12VDC is a more common type for motorized ball valve?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

OpenSprinkler Forums Hardware Questions OpenSprinkler Low Pressure ( no pressure ! ) system – What's the best valve to use ?