OpenSprinkler Forums Hardware Questions OpenSprinkler Maxing simultaneous solenoid control

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

DrGlock
    Participant

Hello,

My situation a little complicated as sometimes the system will be running off an old bore pump and sometimes will run off my mains supply (i.e. when away). Currently split into 6 zones + master. Pressure builds up quickly with the bore pump so need to be able to open up the valves for each zone all together ideally without any delay and with less chance of failure (I read system resets if not enough current?). The solenoids have a 0.4amp in rush current and a 0.2 amp holding. Is it just a case of buying a transformer that can handle all the current needs? Best I can find here in Australia is a 24V AC 3A transformer https://www.altronics.com.au/p/m6014-powertran-ip68-24v-ac-3a-appliance-transformer/ For the OpenSprinkler itself I have the version 3 AC model, with an expansion board and ethernet.

Also wondering, can I use one of the zones to control a modular contactor such as https://www.rselectricalsupplies.co.uk/chint-nch8-modular-contactor-nch820-240v_8443 to shutdown the power to my bore pump after a certain time has elapsed.

Many thanks for any help and time!

Ed

Edit: Thinking further the obvious solution I guess is open them all up before the bore gets turned on. Be still interested to know though if it’s limited by the transformer size or something else within OpenSprinkler and also about using a contactor

Ray
    Keymaster

As long as you have a sufficiently beefy power adapter, you should be able to open 6 valves at the same time. Yes, 3A is plenty for 6 to 8 simultaneous valves.

I am not familiar with the “modular contactor” that you linked to. Usually to control a pump the common way is to use a pump start relay, which many manufacturers sell.

DrGlock
    Participant

Thanks Ray, got myself that 3A and all working nicely. Will chat with an electrician about the contactor and see what they think. Cheers

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

OpenSprinkler Forums Hardware Questions OpenSprinkler Maxing simultaneous solenoid control