OpenSprinkler Forums Hardware Questions OpenSprinkler My Opensprinkler DC loses network connectivity randomly

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author

torontoguy
    Participant

I installed it in june, and it has been working fine until this week, where it suddenly loses connectivity. The ip still shows on the display, but i can’t ping it. (It is connected by ethernet directly to my router).

I never did any software updates, upgrades or tinkering. The only relevant setting was to set it up for static ip instead of dhcp. I don’t have other devices hitting the same ip.

After powercycling it comes back, but it disconnects again from the lan a few minutes later. If a valve is active it keeps going. The leds on the side of the ethernet port keep blinking.

We only use it manually to turn valves on and off. Didn’t set any programs.

I’m at a loss on why it suddenly started doing this, since there hasn’t been any hardware or software change. The WAF is going down dangerously.

Any assistance will be appreciated.

Ray
    Keymaster

When it loses connectivity, could you check the Ethernet jack on OpenSprinkler: there is a green LED and orange LED. The green LED should be on constantly and orange LED blinks occasionally. If the green LED is not on at all, that indicates a hardware or wire connection issue. In any case, you can submit a support ticket and we can arrange to send you a replacement unit to see if it fixes the problem.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I just had this happen last night. My unit went offline and since it was under my house I waited and 30 minutes later it was back online.

Ray
    Keymaster

The firmware has a re-connect feature, where it detects connectivity to the router every few minutes. If it loses connection to the router for several times in a row, it will re-establish network connection. If after 24 hours it still doesn’t connect, it will automatically restart itself (but will only do so when no program is running) essentially performing a power cycle.

rhos
    Participant

I seem to be experiencing similar intermittent drop outs of my AC version controller. It’s powered from a GFCI outlet, which very occasionally trips. This happened whilst we were away and I missed 3 days of watering, so I set up notifications in my HomeSeer home automation system to send me Pushover messages when the OS controller device goes offline. I quickly discovered that it was going offline relatively frequently when the GFCI was still live – the GFCI hasn’t tripped since we were away in mid August. I added another notification to tell me when the controller comes back online and for how long it’s been offline.

It’s dropping out about 5-7 times a day and reconnecting after ~20mins each time.

I haven’t been home and awake when it’s dropped out yet, so haven’t been able to check the controller display and the ethernet port light activity, but I should be able to see that tonight.

HW Version: 2.3 – AC – purchased in July 2016
    Firmware: 2.1.6 (1)
    1 x zone expansion board

Anonymous
    Inactive

I have been using uptimerobot.com to watch my unit and the outage behavior has not come back since my initial post…

rhos, do you have another power source and wall adapter to test?

rhos
    Participant

Hi Patrick

Yes, I will test with a different circuit and power supply over the weekend

Thanks

rhos
    Participant

So, I was able to try a different power supply and circuit and the OS Controller is still going unreachable multiple times a day. It is hard wired and I do see a steady green and flashing orange RJ45 lights even when it’s unreachable from the Web UI or phone app. I have this on static IP and I have no IP conflicts. Also the screen is still active and the buttons produce the expected results when pressed. Resetting the device brings it online as soon as it’s booted up.

Is there anything else that I can test – maybe check for errors at the device somehow with a combination of button presses?

Thanks

Anonymous
    Inactive

What about utilizing a DHCP address for the time being to see if the network disconnections still occur.

Beyond potential addressing issues the only other thing I can think is there may be something wrong with the switch port, patch cable, or cable run that you are using.

An easy way to check all of these at once and either confirm it is the controller or rule it out would be to get another network device of any kind, set it to the same static address and plug it into the same patch cable.

If the network disconnections occur on this other device it is either:
    -Network switch
    -Patch cable/cable run
    -Network addressing

If the network disconnections stop then I would say the OpenSprinkler controller is possibly bad.

pablo666
    Participant

I had the same problem with old tp-link switch but after changing switch is ok. Another reason may be overheating the ENC28J60 chip Tray put (glue) on it some metal plate or small heat sink.

zzanowiak
    Participant

I am experiencing these exact same symptoms all of the sudden.
    – I have hardware version 2.3
    – I am running firmware 2.1.6, which i upgraded to 2.1.7 to hopefully resolve the issue. Symptoms persist.
    – My upgrade inherently performed a factory reset to eliminate bad or corrupt settings
    – I see a steady green light with intermittent orange on the OpenSprinkler network cable adapter
    – Right after a power cycle it works for no more than 10 minutes before i cannot connect to it anymore
    – I had it connected to a TP-Link switch (not the same model as listed above), but I connected directly to my router and am having the same issue
    – I tried two other IP addresses and both exhibited the same symptoms

I don’t know what else to try for troubleshooting and this thread makes me skeptical that it may be a hardware defect. Has anyone successfully resolved this issue?

Ray
    Keymaster

Could you describe the symptoms? How did you detect that the network goes out? Do you use a software to periodically ping the device thus finding the network goes out?

Anonymous
    Inactive

What occurs when my unit goes down is the device itself goes offline, no ICMP or HTTP. The sprinklers still run (if it goes down while they are scheduled), then the page comes back up after 1-15 minutes. See the attached log. I am using UpTimeRobot.com to query the HTTP page for TCP200.

zzanowiak
    Participant

I am using openhab, which checks for running status every 5 minutes on the OpenSprinkler API. Also, i have shut that down and if i just open the OS web UI and leave it up for a few minutes, it will eventually display No Network at the bottom of the screen. I can’t tell you the exact frequency, but i can say it is a lot more frequent than Patrick’s.

GregS
    Participant

I am seeing this same issue (new unit purchased this year). Will randomly lose connectivity for ~2-25 minutes then come back. I have a device that checks “heartbeat” of all devices like the user above.

When it is offline i have checked the device – the display is powered on as normal and the Ethernet jack shows solid connection (green) and activity. But not able to connect by http.

Has there been a cause found / fix found for this? I can post logs from my network uptime device if helpful.

miles99
    Participant

Same here. Mini router is always online and reachable, opensprinkler is not. Goes constantly on and off network. Disabling NTP and weather doesn’t help.

jfanelli
    Participant

I’m having the problem, where my unit will lose connectivity for hours at a time, sometimes I have to power cycle it to restore connectivity (which always works, albeit temporarily). Latest firmware didn’t help; my unit is connected to a Cisco 2960C compact switch (enterprise class small switch, I work for Cisco).

This issue has all but made my solution unusable 🙁

jfanelli
    Participant

BUMP. Anyone have any idea what to do to troubleshoot? If I knew the hardware unit has simply failed i’d consider buying another one but given what appears to be a lot of other folks having the same issue i’m not convinced this is a hardware failure.

Ray
    Keymaster

I’ve seen several cases of such issues involving a network switch — the fact is that the Ethernet library that OS 2.3 DC uses has not been tested with network switches, they are only tested with network routers. So it’s really not clear to me why it doesn’t work well with switches.

John Burgtorf
    Participant

After struggling with network loss for several years, I replaced my Pi 1+ with a PI 3+ last week. Success! I often would need to restart to get wifi to work. Actions I had tried to repair included many updates to the system, replacing the WIFI adapter twice and configuring a cron job to reboot regularly. I have never been able to stay online for more than 1 day until now.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

OpenSprinkler Forums Hardware Questions OpenSprinkler My Opensprinkler DC loses network connectivity randomly