OpenSprinkler Forums Hardware Questions OpenSprinkler Need opensprinkler to work "offline"

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

tpresence
    Participant

It appears after research, that if the opensprinkler system doesn’t have internet access, functionality is broken. Is there a mechanism for opensprinkler to me managed via remote device over ethernet (wireless or wired), where internet access is not available?

This is a pretty frustrating situation. I don’t mind requiring internet access for setup, but once the device is in the field, I need it to operate no matter what state internet connectivity might be in. Without it, I’ll find another solution.

Samer
    Keymaster

How did you research the conclusion of broken in your research?

The device will work offline, to be clear. Without a network the following items are lost:

– Network management
    – Weather adjustments (rain sensor WILL work)
    – DST adjustments
    – Sunrise/sunset start and end time support

In this list the only thing that stands out is the DST adjustments. Is that your issue?

tpresence
    Participant

I believe the network management piece is the problem I have. The device will use the schedule already defined.

I want to be able to browse to the device and tell it to shut off or turn on the schedule, or to even just change the schedule. It appears to prevent me from doing so.

Samer
    Keymaster

Ah I understand now, the UI is hosted on the Internet by default however any of our packaged applications allow use on a local network without any Internet being required.

Also, you can download the HTML files to your computer and just open the index.html in your browser and it will work without Internet access. This is also true if the site becomes cached in your browser.

For more advanced cases, the files can be self hosted: https://openthings.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/articles/5000164006-using-a-different-server-for-ui-assets

I hope this helps!

tpresence
    Participant

This looks like it may address my concern. I’ll report back when I get a chance to drive out there and reconfigure the system using this documentation.

tpresence
    Participant

For the case you specified initially “Also, you can download the HTML files to your computer and just open the index.html in your browser and it will work without Internet access. This is also true if the site becomes cached in your browser.”

Where can I download these files from? https://ui.opensprinkler.com/js? Do I have to wget that fileset, or is it literally just index.html only?

Samer
    Keymaster

The link I posted above has the zip file listed under step two as UI.zip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ray
    Keymaster

If you use the OpenSprinkler mobile app, then you can still access the controller without Internet. The only reason it needs Internet is to perform NTP time sync and get weather data, but those do not prevent the controller from running programs since all program settings are stored locally on the controller. When you use a browser to access the controller, it needs to access UI files (javascript files) stored on the OpenSprinkler server, but if you use the mobile app, it already embeds these javascripts so it won’t even need to access the Internet.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

OpenSprinkler Forums Hardware Questions OpenSprinkler Need opensprinkler to work "offline"