OpenSprinkler Forums Hardware Questions OpenSprinkler Pi (OSPi) Need to know what stable version of OSPi/UI to use!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

rodenbaugh
    Participant

Hi everyone,

I have a bit of a problem that I’m hoping someone can point the way to solve.

I purchased the OSPi 2 years ago in 2013 (the 2.x) with a RaspPi 2011.12 model (I presume that’s 1.x).

The first year I used the hardware/software, everything was peachy!  Last year was a bit rougher, because apparently I could only upgrade to versions that support the 1.8.3 firmware based on hardware limitations.  Eventually I found something that worked with the mobile app and left it alone.

I managed to limp through the summer with the mobile app by Samer.  This spring, after some updates that downloaded to my iPhone over the winter, I did another updated on my git repo on the RPi and now things are completely hosed–I can’t perform basic operations on the mobile app anymore (manual on/off, change station name, etc).  I tried reverting to the git hub version for 1.8.3 firmware of OSPi, but the mobile app seems dead for me.  It still won’t let me do basic functions now like renaming the station.

I tried changing to the UI by Dan instead (interval_pi?) and that fails in a similar way, so I’m guessing the problem is either an outdated interval program, an out-of-sync OSPi with the UI or something else.

Can someone point me to a set of steps that will allow me to completely reset my current hardware environment so I can leave it alone forever more?  Clearly the updates aren’t applicable to my line of hardware and I’m not throwing out a $100 investment barely two years old just because the software is focused on the newer lines.

HELP!

-Dave

Samer
    Keymaster

Hi,

I apologize for the confusion however if you are using OSPi, you can use any version of the software as you can upgrade to the latest.

Just follow the instructions on the latest firmware using a clean Raspbian image and you should be up and running without issues: https://opensprinkler.com/forums/topic/announcing-opensprinkler-unified-firmware-2-1-4/

Please note, the mobile app is an application you download from the App Store (such as iOS, Android, Windows Phone, etc). It is no longer something you install on the device.

Thanks!

rodenbaugh
    Participant

So no hardware limits on the version of RaspPi or the Open Sprinkler hardware?  This will run with a 2011 RaspPi and 2013 OpenSprinker board with expansion?

Samer
    Keymaster

If you had a working hardware configuration before updating, then I can’t imagine why the latest software wouldn’t work. Therefore, I recommend using a new Raspbian image for your Raspberry Pi and following the instructions for 2.1.4 installation. Let us know if this works and if not what specific error so we can troubleshoot.

rodenbaugh
    Participant

Hi Samer,

EDIT: Never mind–after re-downloading the mobile app and starting again, things seem to be working! Thanks for the help!

-D

Samer
    Keymaster

Okay glad to hear you got things working. 1.8.3 is quite old and it’s possible we had some issues upgrading you to the latest hence having to start over. In fact, my app saves a variable if you are using 1.8.3 and obviously that isn’t valid if you have upgraded. This is the most likely source of issues.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

OpenSprinkler Forums Hardware Questions OpenSprinkler Pi (OSPi) Need to know what stable version of OSPi/UI to use!