OpenSprinkler Forums Hardware Questions DIY Kit Assembly Questions New build does not connect to network

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

n8096n

Everything went together and voltage tested with no problems. After powering on the LCD never gets past the ‘Connecting to the Network’ message. I have tried both DHCP and a fixed address and in both cases see the green light on the ethernet port blinking. I have left it connected overnight with no change.

Any ideas to diagnose and solve this would be appreciated.

Ray
    Keymaster

If the LCD never gets past the ‘Connecting to the Network’ message, it means the Ethernet controller fails to initialize. This has nothing to do with a valid Ethernet connection or not: if the Ethernet controller is initialized correctly, it should eventually get past that screen and display the current time (even though the time may be wrong).

There are several reasons that could cause this, for example, the pins of the Ethernet controller were not soldered reliably, the Ethernet controller is not plugged in properly, or a pin might be accidentally shorted to ground or something. Also check if the 25MHz crystal is soldered to the correct position (make sure you did not solder it to the position of X1). Does the orange LED ever blink?

wclark1

I just hooked my new opensprinkler and it does not seem to connect.
    The RJ45 connections are lit like it’s hooked up but I can’t log into the interface page.
    It was purchased assembled (not a kit).
    The menus work and it performs the self test but when I try http://opensprinkler/ I can’t
    find it and when I try to get the address it returns 0.0.0.0 80
    Should I have checked it using the USB before putting it on the LAN?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Ray
    Keymaster

All assembled OpenSprinklers have been tested and should be able to connect. It’s possible that its DHCP doesn’t work with every router. You can try to disable DHCP and set a static IP. You can do so by entering setup options (press and hold button B3 while starting the controller), navigate to the ‘Use DHCP’ option, turn it off, then set the four fields of the IP address (make sure it’s unique and compatible with your router’s settings), and also the four fields of the router’s IP. Then press and hold B3 to save the options. See if this makes it work.

psmedley
    Participant

Hi,

I just assembled a 1.42u kit with little difficulty. Was impressed on testing voltages that they were all OK 🙂

Installed the IC’s and powered on and things didn’t get past ‘Connecting to Network’. Tried configuring static IP with no difference. Then I noticed that the router has no light to indicate a connection to the opensprinkler.

Any suggestions on where to start? I checked some of my soldering joints on the ethernet chip and a couple didn’t look great under magnification so I reflowed them but no change in behaviour.

Any suggestions where to look next?

Cheers,

Paul

psmedley
    Participant

I just confirmed that self test is working, and after leaving the kit powered for 10 minutes or so, it never seems to get past ‘Connecting to Network’ so appears its some issue with the networking IC. Would posting photos of the assembled PCB help?

Ray
    Keymaster

Here are the steps I would suggest:
    – Check if the green LED on the Ethernet jack is on.
    – Go to options (press and hold the 3rd pushbutton while powering up the controller), and set DHCP to no (i.e. use static ip). Press and hold the 3rd pushbutton until the controller restarts, see if it can get past the ‘Connecting to Network’ screen.

If the above two fail, that means the Ethernet controller has failed to start for some reason. You should carefully check the Ethernet controller, see if there are any bent or unsoldered pins. Also check if you’ve soldered the 25MHz crystal to the correct location.

If the above two succeed, it may have to do with the controller not able to get DHCP. Try static ip (make sure you set an ip that’s compatible with your router setings, and you set the correct gateway ip). Hope this helps.

psmedley
    Participant

HI Ray, thanks for the response.

– there are no LED’s lit on the ethernet jack or on my network switch.
    – I have tried DHCP on and off – still don’t get past ‘Connecting to network’

I’ve removed the ethernet controller and there are no bent pins – i’ve checked the joints and they look ok. 25 Mhz crystal appears to be in correct location. will post photos shortly of front and back of pcb

Photo (front): http://smedley.id.au/tmp/IMG_0452.jpg
    Photo (rear): http://smedley.id.au/tmp/IMG_0454.jpg

psmedley
    Participant

OK, I’m an idiot. I soldered the 32.768KHz crystal into X1 not X3. rectifying now and will cross fingers.

(Edit) doesn’t appear to have helped – could I have damaged anything by installing X3 into X1? The instructions state ‘Please DO NOT solder the 25MHz crystal onto X1 (that would caused the Ethernet controller to stop working).’

Does ‘stop working’ == kill the chip? Assuming it does, will any of these work? http://australia.rs-online.com/web/c/?searchTerm=ENC28J60&sra=oss&r=t

I think this one is correct? http://australia.rs-online.com/web/p/ethernet-controllers/6988981/

Ray
    Keymaster

No, it does not damage the chip. Sorry for the confusion. It just means that the Ethernet controller will not work without the correct crystal.

In any case, even with the 32.768kHz crystal soldered on X1, it shouldn’t cause the controller to not go past the ‘Connect to Network’ screen. From your picture, everything looks fine and I can’t see any obvious issue (other than X1).

The fact that the LEDs on the Ethernet jack do not light up (assuming you have connected it to your router) is a strong indication that the Ethernet controller cannot initialize for some reason. One possible reason could be that some signal line is being pulled to ground. I suggest that you go through all the solder joints, and check if any solder joint is accidentally touching the ground plane around it (the grid area is the ground plane, it spans the entire PCB). When in doubt, use your soldering iron to melt the solder joint (i.e. reflow the solder joint) so that the joint will retract from the ground plane.

psmedley
    Participant

Hi Ray, thanks for the clarifications and tips. Will have a close look at the PCB later today and advise progress.

psmedley
    Participant

Woot! FInally 🙂 cleaned up several joints that were close to the ground plane and now it’s up and running!

Ray
    Keymaster

Glad to hear it’s working now. Thanks for the update.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

OpenSprinkler Forums Hardware Questions DIY Kit Assembly Questions New build does not connect to network