OpenSprinkler Forums Hardware Questions OpenSprinkler Pi (OSPi) Noob questions of a first time user

Tagged: ,

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Randy
    Participant

Hello.  I’m one of those Ars readers whe recently received and set up an OSPi to replace a Rainbird controller.  So far this has been a fun and interesting exercise.  The image I downloaded currently uses the interval program (I believe this is the python application) V2.0.1.  I found a few interesting effects in my initial install and researched the forums to see if others have previously reported same.  I found the topic on the new unified firmware approach.  I’m assuming that all the support energy will go in this new direction now (that is, no need for me to report bugs in the old version)?  Is the tight polling loop fixed for the OSPi platform (should I change to current firmware, wait for a fix or just stay with the python version)?  I also saw you were looking for a new name for the C++ version of the firmware.  Perhaps “Irrg8tr” or “Rainmaker” for a couple of suggestions.  Thanks for an interesting product, I’m looking forward to tinkering with it.

Samer
    Keymaster

Hi Randy,

The OSPi Python program you installed is still in active development by Dan Kimberling. It has also received a lot of updates since 2.0.1 that likely resolve a lot of the bugs you are experiencing. With that said, the Unified firmware is the official firmware that is written by Ray for the Arduino and recently all other platforms. The Unified firmware has some advantages such as per station watering times in programs, integrated weather adjustments, etc. The Python program is more flexible and offers a plugin system for quick expansion.

The tight loop bug is not fixed yet on the master code however the suggested fix of adding usleep(10000) seems to work great and am sure Ray will update this in the next version. Therefore, if you want to avoid high CPU usage and don’t want to edit code, stick with the Python version (maybe update it) for now.

Thanks!

Randy
    Participant

Thanks for the info Samer.  I am now on V2.2.32 of the python based program.  I also found and loaded your mobile app for iPhone (very nice!).  I activated the monthly adjust and email plugins.  These should be helpful.

Is there a place where the plugins are discussed?

Also, I noticed that on the “home” screen of the web browser based access that the “<< PREV DAY” button works as expected, but the “TODAY” and “NEXT DAY>>” buttons don’t seem to function.  The display on the mobile app works as expected.

Dan in CA
    Participant

Randy,

I just tested the TODAY and  NEXT DAY  buttons and they are working here. I’m not sure what could be causing the problem you are seeing.

At this point there is not a separate discussion area for plugins. You can post questions, suggestions and comments about the plugins here.

Dan

Randy
    Participant

Thanks for the ping Dan.  I think it may be an update artifact.  I started from the initial version of the firmware indicated in the manual.  Then I upgraded to the latest V2.2.32 as advised by Samer.  I was able to see the UI/functionality changes immediately.  It was at that point that I noticed the odd button behavior.  I’ve rebooted the device and the buttons work as expected.  I should probably know better by now:-)

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

OpenSprinkler Forums Hardware Questions OpenSprinkler Pi (OSPi) Noob questions of a first time user