OpenSprinkler Forums OpenSprinkler Unified Firmware Offline opensprinkler control

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

raphael
    Participant

Hi,
    I bought your product and I’m facing many difficulties I didn’t expect. I didn’t understood before to buy it that internet connection was so important.

Is there any mean to pilot the opensprinkler while offline of internet ? It seems really complicated.
    I read stuff about hosting javascript on the micro sd card. Where can I find precise informations about how to do it ?

Couldn’t you program something to control the opensprinkler through the usb cable ? A direct connection from a computer to the opensprinkler, to avoid router and many cables ?

Perhaps you should make it clearer that when you buy the programmer, you’ll need to buy the transformer (this is quite clear), a micro sd, and a router… It is quite a lot…

Thank you very much.

Samer
    Keymaster

This support article guides you through using the SD card for the UI files: https://opensprinkler.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/articles/5000011026-using-the-sd-card-for-ui

The device is controlled using the network connection. With that said, you don’t have to buy a router. You can connect it directly to your computer using a cross-over cable. Also, the SD card is only needed for logging of data.

Ray
    Keymaster

I’d like to add to Samer’s reply that if you use the OpenSprinkler mobile app (the native apps), you do NOT need Internet connection. Those apps have the Javascripts built-in. You only need Internet connection if you are trying to directly access OpenSprinkler in a web browser (i.e. not using apps).

Keep in mind that if you don’t have Internet connection, features like weather-based control and automatic time zone / DST detection will not work. You also can’t access the controller remotely if you are traveling away. For most users, these are the most valuable features of OpenSprinkler.

Similarly, I would argue that to control the device through an USB cable defeats the purpose of having a web-based sprinkler controller.

What’s included or not included in the package is CLEARLY indicated on the product webpage:
    http://rayshobby.net/cart/os
    I am sorry if you missed those when you made the purchase. One reason that transformers are not included (as specified on the product page), is that you likely already have a sprinkler controller and you can reuse the transformer because all sprinkler systems have the same electric spec. Also, it’s difficult for us to stock transformers for different countries that have different mains voltage.

I don’t think it’s surprising that ‘router is not included’ — how would you expect the controller to get connected to the web, if you don’t have a router? You might even argue that we should include sprinkler valves, but I think it’s common sense that these are provided by you. OpenSprinkler is just a controller (like a thermostat is just a controller for HVAC system), it doesn’t include the whole system.

raphael
    Participant

Ok, thank you for the answer.
    salbahra, you said that I can connect directly to a computer using a cross-over cable. How do you do that ? When I try it my connection is said “limited or inexistant”
    And the opensprinkler has no ip I can connect to (indicated 0.0.0.0)

And Ray, excuse me for the questions/remarks that you took so bad. I was just saying that sometimes you don’t have internet, or sometimes it is down, and someone would like to still be able to use the UI at that time.
    And sometimes, it could be convenient to access the pensprinkler without a router.
    But no problem, I understood your answer and your jokes about the valves.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

OpenSprinkler Forums OpenSprinkler Unified Firmware Offline opensprinkler control