OpenSprinkler Forums Hardware Questions OpenSprinkler Pi (OSPi) OpenSprinkler and just a RPi

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

k
    Participant

Hi, I’ve just started to play with the OpenSprinkler software on a vanilla RPi. I’m so impressed with how easy it was to get going. I had 2 zones running via GPIO relays in no time.

I am wondering if it possible to wire in a rain sensor and the 433Mhz RF Tx directly onto the RPi without using the OSPi board?
    Do the inputs on the OSPi board translate directly across to GPIO pins on the Pi?

Ray
    Keymaster

Yes you can. On the schematic here:
    https://github.com/rayshobby/opensprinkler/tree/master/OpenSprinkler%20Pi/hardware
    and also the firmware code itself, you can find out the GPIO pins that are connected to the rain sensor and RF transmitter. To connect a rain sensor, hook up your rain sensor wires to the rain sensor GPIO and ground (the additional resistors and TVS diode you see on the schematic are for circuit protection purpose). To connect RF transmitter, connect +5V, GND and RF data pin to your RF transmitter.

k
    Participant

Hi Ray, thanks for the reply. I figured the pins out from some of the python code in the repo. My RF transmitter arrived today (ordered from you), so I will try that later.

I noticed my rain sensor doesn’t respond well. It will report normally closed fine, then open when I fill it with water or cross over the wires. It will only do this once, so OpenSprinkler has a permanent “rain delay” set until I reboot the Pi.

If I run Dan-in-CA/SIP on a different port, the rain sensor will report open/closed repeatedly fine which makes me think it is software and not hardware related.

Do you have any suggestions on what could cause that?

Ray
    Keymaster

For rain sensor you should have a pull-up resistor — without pull-up, when the sensor is open, the pin value will float.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

OpenSprinkler Forums Hardware Questions OpenSprinkler Pi (OSPi) OpenSprinkler and just a RPi