OpenSprinkler Forums Pictures and Creative Use OpenSprinkler ERV controller?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Looking for a way to run my Aprilaire 8100 ERV on a schedule… The external controller dry contact inputs for the ERV use 24 VAC … OpenSprinkler looks like a good fit to me… Does anyone see any issues in doing this?

See attached image for more info…

Thanks!

Ray
    Keymaster

When using OpenSprinkler for a non-sprinkler device, make sure the operating voltage and current of the device is compatible with OpenSprinkler (24V AC, 800mA max current per zone, if current exceeds 800mA you can combine multiple zones to increase the capacity). A drawing of how you plan to connect OpenSprinkler with the ERV controller would probably make it easier to check.

Thanks for your response Ray. The ERV control is factory set to constant on… In order to enable external control, they have you remove a wire nut that connects a relay to a transformer… then you connect those two wires to your external controller… I would connect one wire to the OpenSprinkle common and the other to the OpenSprinkler Station 1… The ERV controller transformer is 24V AC, 420 milliamps, so I am thinking this will work.

Thanks again.

Ray
    Keymaster

Sure, sounds like a plan.

Ok, so it did not work they way I had planned… after more research I found that I was missing an important piece… the two ERV wires that I disconnected simply needed to be reconnected in order to make it run… turns out that the dry contact normally open thing that they are talking about is a Form C SPDT relay… may be pretty obvious to most of you out there, but it took some time for a novice like me to figure out… anyway, I found a link in this forum to a DigiKey search for 24VAC relays… it returned a whole bunch that would work so I decided to get the coolest looking one (G2R-1-AC24), and a clear box and some perf board… seems like a waste to have only one component all by itself in a pretty clear box, but what the heck… so after I hooked it up backwards (after checking it three times!!), I renamed S01 to FRIED (ahhh the smell of roasting triac)… S02 is now “ERV” and it has been faithfully turning on at 9pm and off at 2am… Thanks Ray for a great product!

Ray
    Keymaster

Cool. Glad to hear you figured it out. Thanks for the update and the pictures!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

OpenSprinkler Forums Pictures and Creative Use OpenSprinkler ERV controller?