OpenSprinkler Forums OpenSprinkler Unified Firmware OpenSprinkler (not OSPi!) Firmware 2.0.1 Released

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Ray
    Keymaster

Hi,

I’ve checked in to Github firmware 2.0.1 for OpenSprinkler 2.0 (note: the microcontorller-based OpenSprinkler, not OpenSprinkler Pi!). The main change of this version is to make use of the microSD card available on OpenSprinkler 2.0 hardware to store and serve Javascript files. This makes the controller’s web functionality self-contained and does not depend on the availability of the Internet. I’ve also added NTP server ip options for users who want to use a different NTP server than the default one.

Here is the direct link to the Github folder:
    https://github.com/rayshobby/opensprinkler/tree/master/OpenSprinkler%20Controller/software/compiled/hardware%20v2.0/firmware2.0.1
    Please follow the README.txt for instructions. Source code is also available on the Github site.

Note that this firmware is only available for hardware 2.0 with ATmega644 mcu. It’s not possible to adapt it for 1.x generation hardware (e.g. 1.42u) due to the flash memory and RAM requirements. Sorry!

Some technical details:
    – the program uses the latest version of Jeelab’s EtherCard library and the tinyFAT library to serve files stored on the uSD card. The tinyFAT library is very compact (much more so compared to the Arduino’s SD library), but it imposes certain limitations such as files must exist in the root directory, only support SD card up to 2.0 GB capacity, file names must follow the legacy 8.3 standard. Fortunately these are not show stoppers for us.

– to reduce file reading overhead, I temporarily removed the button icons, so you won’t see the nice little icons on the buttons. This will be added back in the future.

– I am actively working to make use of the SD card to store other stuff such as station names, program data, logging data. This can potentially remove the software limitation on the number of stations and number of programs, and allow additional features such as custom program names, per-station water time within a single program etc.

I was originally planning to release the firmware after more changes are added, but decided to release the current version in order to get some feedback. Please feel free to post your comments and suggestions. Thanks!

djagerif
    Participant

Ray,

Just a question and a suggestion from my side:

1. Can you tell us where the new NTP setting is? I looked everywhere and can’t find it.
    2. Would it be possible to add a ‘Device ID’ in the options page. This way you can set the device ID if you have multiple OS devices running DHCP so everyone can get their own IP and not share the same MAC.

Thanks,
    Ingo

Ray
    Keymaster

1 and 2 are both in the options, but you need to set them on the controller — these two options are not available on the web interface yet. To enter option setup on the controller, turn off the controller, then press pushbutton B3 while powering it back on. Click B3 to cycle through all options, B1/B2 to change values, and then press and hold B3 to save the values.

It’s certainly possible to expose these options on the web interface, I just haven’t had time to change that part of the code yet.

djagerif
    Participant

Thanks, I found them.

Have you implemented the Timezone ‘Log’ setting you did a few weeks ago? Fw 2.0.1 doesn’t seem to display the timezone on the main screen.

Log: S01 ran Manual Mode for 0m10s @ Sun, 20 Oct 2013 07:44:10

Ingo

Ray
    Keymaster

Sorry, I forgot about that. Will fix it next.

Oasiz37
    Participant

May I ask here for an option to store rain delay and watering level in EPROM to carry it over power cycle in the future firmware?

Thank you,
    Oasiz37

Ray
    Keymaster

Watering level is now named ‘Percentage of watering’ and it has always been stored in EEPROM.

Rain delay is not written to EEPROM yet but can definitely be changed to.

bjcatlin
    Participant

Moving the rain delay to EEPROM would definitely be helpful. During thunderstorms (which is when rain delay is used), the lightning often knocks out my power for short periods of time. A couple of times this year I found my plants being watered in the rain after I had set the rain delay. So having this carry through power outages would be a huge improvement for me!

Ray
    Keymaster

Just a quick note that firmware 2.0.2 is released, and the rain delay time is now written to EEPROM and preserved through power loss.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

OpenSprinkler Forums OpenSprinkler Unified Firmware OpenSprinkler (not OSPi!) Firmware 2.0.1 Released