OpenSprinkler Forums Hardware Questions Opensprinkler on NanodeRF

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

dinon

HI,

as I read that opensprinkler is compatible with nanodeRF i am trying to compile and run it.
    Unfprtunatelly althought I am using provided Mint VBox image when compilig I get Size too big message.
    I am using latest download of opensprinkler from github specifically Firmware 1 version.

Does anyone have expirinece with it. Also what is the pinout on nanodeRF / what pin is used for which purpose ?

Thanx,
    DiNo

Ray
    Keymaster

To clarify: OpenSprinkler generation 1 (1.x) is compatible with NanodeRF, because 1.x uses ATmega328 microcontroller and has PCB slot for RFM12B. All the pin assignments are also compatible with NanodeRF. Generation 2 (2.x) has switched to use ATmega644, so that’s not compatible with NanodeRF any more.

If you are using the Virtualbox Image, you should be able to compile 1.x source code within the size limit. Do you have a screenshot so I can perhaps see what may be wrong?

dinon

From terminal I entered Folder od desktop and executed arduino.
    From there I went to Examples / OpenSprinkler and input…
    [attachment=0:1p2tttts]Screen Shot 2014-06-25 at 22.49.28.png[/attachment:1p2tttts]

And the on compile I get error

[attachment=1:1p2tttts]Screen Shot 2014-06-25 at 22.50.09.png[/attachment:1p2tttts]

Ray
    Keymaster

OK, make sure you select (in Arduino IDE) Tools -> Boards -> OpenSprinkler. It’s rather strange that the output reports (of a 32256 maximum), it should be 32768 maximum. This has to do with boards.txt in the Arduinohardware folder.

dinon

HI,

looks like I will need some more help.
    I connected nanode using FTDI to USB.

When selecting OpenSprinkler as board sketch compiles but on upload I am getting the error: Could not find USB device 0x1781/0xc9f.

Is it possible to upload the sketch to nanoderf using FTDI or I would need to use Arduino as ISP programmer to upload the sketch as in this case http://arduino.cc/en/Tutorial/ArduinoISP

And how do I upload regular Arduino UNO bootloader back ?

Thanx,

DiNo

Ray
    Keymaster

I see, I forgot that NanodeRF uses a bootloader. The program you are trying to compile is version 1.8.3, which uses close to all the 32KB flash memory. As a result it can’t allow a bootloader (which takes 512B in the case of NanodeRF I think). Since OpenSprinkler 1.2, the board has included a built-in USBtinyISP (or USBasp) programmer, and hence the microcontroller does not use a bootloader anymore, freeing up some space.

There are two work-arounds you can use:
    1. try to reduce the code size by commenting out features that you don’t need, such as the part corresponding to manual operation mode. You really only need to free up a few hundred bytes of flash memory space to make it fit.
    2. alternatively, if you have an ISP programmer (such as USBtinyISP, USBasp, or use Arduino as ISP), you can use that to directly program the chip. Note that this will overwrite the bootloader, but if you need you can always put the bootloader back by using the ‘Burn Bootloader’ option in the Arduino IDE.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

OpenSprinkler Forums Hardware Questions Opensprinkler on NanodeRF