OpenSprinkler Forums OpenSprinkler Unified Firmware Opensprinkler stopped responding on the web port

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Fr33
    Participant

Hi everyone,

I have OS 2.2 with latest 2.1.0 firmware and it is set up with WiFi bridge with  static IP address.
    Everything worked just fine for about a month or more but today I found that I can’t access it on the web.
    I restarted it, restarted the TP-LINK nano router bridge but nothing helps. I cannot ping it at all.

I can of course take it from the wall and flash new firmware and see if that helps or not but I am interested in debugging it without doing that. Is there any way of debugging it or at least diagnosing where the problem is?

The sprinkler itself reports strong wireless signal on the lcd screen and no abnormal status messages and no errors, so it looks very weird to me.
    Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!! 🙂

thanks,
    -fr33s7yl0r

ShawnHarte
    Participant

When you say you can’t access the sprinkler from the web do you simply mean the web-ui, as in you are still on your local network and trying to access it?  Or, do you mean trying to access the sprinkler from another network?  The answer to either of these questions will vary what is needed to get everything working again.

If you are on the local network, make sure you can access the router, and that the sprinkler and computer used for access are on the same subnet.  For example, you set the sprinkler to 192.168.1.35, and you are trying to access it from 192.168.0.36.  Note the 1 and 0 in the third position, this can make the sprinkler inaccessible locally if you do not have port forwarding set correctly, while still allowing the sprinkler to function outside the local network.  Essentially, it is acting like two separate local networks.  If that is not the case, the bridge may be blocking external IP addresses, make sure there is nothing acting like a firewall for your specific IP then try again.  If you can’t access the bridge on the network to reconfigure it, that is most likely your problem.

If accessing it from an external network is your problem, go through all your setting again, ensure you don’t have some simple problem blocking you from access.  For example, port forwarding is to port 8080 while the sprinkler is trying to be accessed from port 80.  This would cause no problems locally but externally there is a good chance it will drop the connection.  As a quick test for simple configuration errors, you could TEMPORARILY set the IP address for the sprinkler to the DMZ on the router.  If it works like that, first, remove it from DMZ, then meticulously verify all settings.

Another external access problem may be your leased IP address from your ISP has changed.  If you are trying to access 123.x.123.123:80, and your actual WAN IP address is 123.x.123.234:80, well then you will have problems.  These two issues are the most common problems with external access.

Depending on how knowledgeable you  are with networks, and their settings there are other things to try, but without knowing I don’t want to talk over your head and just cause more frustration.  So let’s see if the above helps, or we can get a bit more information.

When asking for help troubleshooting  anything, remember the person helping can not see what is happening or what it is you are doing, so always make sure you include enough information for a monkey of any sort to duplicate your problem, and if that’s not possible tell me what you are doing with your fingers, what you expect to happen, and what is actually happening.  Remember, as frustrating as it is for you, it can be even more frustrating for the person who wants to help, and can’t.

Fr33
    Participant

Hi Shawn,

the issue is not with external access. I don’t forward it outside and there are no port forwarding or mapping. Also all of my equipment is on the same subnet, so we can rule that out as well. No internal firewalls are installed so my network can be considered a DMZ.

At the moment I can say that the connectivity is a little bit less reliable than “intermittent”, meaning that the controller can be accessed some times but cannot be accessed *most of the time*.

Sometimes I can access it after reloading the page couple of times, often I can’t load it at all.

I can see that the wireless bridge is connected to my wireless network correctly, so I can assume only that there is something wrong with the controller itself.

It seems to work fine and turns the sprinklers on and off on schedule but the web part is not reliable or I would say mostly unavailable.

I tried rebooting it once or twice but it did not help. Only after an hour or so I was able to access it.

Did any of you guys experience anything like that before?

-fr33s7yl0r

Fr33
    Participant

There is definitely something wrong with the latest firmware. After restarting the controller and the bridge I can access the home page where it asks me for the password, but neither my password nor the default one works. It keeps redirecting me to the same login page. I tried deliberately entering a wrong password and it did complain about it being invalid and redirected me to the same login page.

I can definitely re-flash it but WTF? Did anybody have any experience like that?

ianf
    Participant

Is what you’re experiencing now new behaviour since updating to 2.1.0?

Reading your posts, it looks like your reset the OpenSprinkler a few times with no effect.  Then you reset the OpenSprinkler and the WiFi bridge and then you could access the page.  Are you sure that the issue is not the WiFi bridge?  Can you report the RSSI for the bridge on your AP and the bridge?  You can test this by resetting only the WiFi bridge the next time it happens.

Also, are you running the UI from the SD card?

There was an issue with the upstream ethernet library, but it’s not often triggered.  When the problem is triggered it results in a soft-lockup and the OpenSprinkler is rebooted by the watchdog 2 minutes later. The upstream fix has been incorporated into the 2.1.1 firmware.

Fr33
    Participant

Hi ianf,

yes this happened after update. Also I am not sure I know what it means to run the UI from SD card, I use SD card for logs and I believe firmware with UI and everything else is flashed to the internal memory. At the moment I cannot log into the UI. After entering the password it kicks me back to the login page despite I enter the valid password. When I tried “opendoor” or other invalid password it displays the “Invalid Password” message, so I make the conclusion that my current password is correct (since no error message), but the UI has some issues and kicks me back to the login page. I tried it from 3 different browsers or three computers and from my android phone.

As for the soft lockup – it is not happening, the controller is not rebooted, it stays on all the time.

I guess I will have to reset it, flash the latest firmware and try again?

Ray
    Keymaster

@Fr33: did you change the port number to something other than 80? If so, I think it has to do with a bug that causes the weather script to fail when the HTTP port is not the default 80. This has been fixed in the just released firmware 2.1.1. Please check the announcement for 2.1.1 for details.

ianf
    Participant

@Fr33: Ray’s comments not withstanding, before you re-flash you can try resetting to defaults (B1 during power-on).

Ray
    Keymaster

@Fr33: it has come to our attention that firmware 2.1.0 has a bug that causes the program data output to be incomplete when the number of programs is a multiple of 3. This will lead to the web interface not responding. If your number of programs is 3, 6, 9 etc. it’s very likely that the issue you encountered is due to this bug. A fix has been released in firmware 2.1.2. You can check the related thread here:
    https://opensprinkler.com/forums/topic/creating-a-third-program-stops-ui-access/#post-35016

Thanks.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

OpenSprinkler Forums OpenSprinkler Unified Firmware Opensprinkler stopped responding on the web port