OpenSprinkler Forums Hardware Questions OpenSprinkler OpenSprinkler V2 running firmware 2.1.6 won't fire solenoids

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

nate
    Participant

Updated my OpenSprinkler 2’s firmware and now my system wont complete the connection. It’s connected to my network, and reciveving my commmands, however when it says it’s opened a valve, it doesn’t seem to be firing the solenoids. If i connect the common and one of the solenoid’s wires to a AA battery they fire just fine, so it seems that the issue lies somewhere in the OpenSprinkler. The system was working last fall when i shut everything down.

Any ideas what might be going on?

ShawnHarte
    Participant

Make sure the fuse on the main board didn’t blow, check your power supply to make sure it is working correctly and outputting the correct voltage. Then check the connection at each wire running to the valves. Are they seated fully and tight?
    It sounds as if you have an electrical issue so running through everything one more time, checking connections and proper placement is going to be your best bet. If you didn’t touch the unit while is was not being used, fuses and power supply are more than likely the issue.
    If you just recently updated to the most recent firmware it may have corrupted, so you may look at retrying the update.

nate
    Participant

•Not sure where the fuse is on the main board, pulled it apart, and everything seems to be normal (attached photo of board as well).

•Power supply seems to be good, and everything else on the board is functioning smoothly.

•Connections look to be solid.

•Tried re-installing firmware, both 2.1.6 and 2.1.5 were failing whenever I tried installing them, so I have rolled back to 2.1.4, however still getting same behavior.

Attachments:

ShawnHarte
    Participant

Right next to the battery labelled “F1” if you have a multimeter or voltmeter, test across the 2 solder pads, that is the fuse. It should read 0V or very close to 0, if it is 1 or higher you have a blown fuse.

nate
    Participant

Awesome. I’ll get after that when I get home, and post my results.

nate
    Participant

Fuse tests to 0. Hmmmm…

ShawnHarte
    Participant

Well good news that part is good as I suspected it should be if everything was coming on while plugged in to a power supply.
    Next would be to track down why it won’t let you update properly, and what down the line electrically is possibly not working.
    You could try testing to see if a voltage can be read at the pins for each valve. Plug the unit in and start a test program, then check between com on the pin for the station currently running. Should be about 24VAC, or 12VDC depending on version. I think you may get 0 running that test which means I would have to defer to Ray.

I believe the inability to update the firmware and not firing the valves is directly related, but I’m uncertain as to why.

***If you do not have the case on when plugged in to power, please be sure to isolate the bottom side of the board. If you short the connections there is no telling what could be damaged.***

Ray
    Keymaster

@nate: you said “If i connect the common and one of the solenoid’s wires to a AA battery they fire just fine” — I don’t quite understand: how can AA battery fire the solenoid? If this is 24VAC solenoid, it would require at least 17 to 20V to energize. Also, OpenSprinkler 2.0 is 24AV only (there is no DC version of OpenSprinkler 2.0) So I am trying to understand the setup you have.

harvey.g
    Participant

Bringing this back because I am experiencing the same issue. Fully functioning system last week, the router died and was replaced and now i cant fire anything.
    Also cannot seem to find the “F1” pin mentioned earlier, any help would be greatly appreciated, on a deadline to get this sprinkler set up for a customer.

Ray
    Keymaster

@harvey.g: if I remember correctly, you have submitted a support ticket, so we will continue from there.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

OpenSprinkler Forums Hardware Questions OpenSprinkler OpenSprinkler V2 running firmware 2.1.6 won't fire solenoids