OpenSprinkler Forums Pictures and Creative Use OpenSprinkler with Relays for Christmas Light control

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Ray
    Keymaster

An OpenSprinkler user, Maxwell, sent me this photo to share. Here is the description:

Thought you might enjoy what I’ve done. I am using 2 expansion modules. There are a total of 17 zones with 3 futures for the sprinklers. Then I added 4 24vac relays. As of now I have 1 relay for an outlet on my fence that will power LED Christmas lights. Waiting for inspiration for the other relays.

Lamby
    Participant

Can I ask for the details of the relay you are using? And where you got them from?

I am struggling to find relays with 24vac control.

Thanks

Ray
    Keymaster

You can find 24VAC relays on Digikey, Mouser, or other electronic component distributors. For example, here is my search result on digikey:
    http://www.digikey.com/product-search/en?FV=fff40010%2Cfff80367%2C120000a&k=relay&mnonly=0&newproducts=0&ColumnSort=1000011&page=1&stock=0&pbfree=0&rohs=0&quantity=1&ptm=0&fid=0&pageSize=25

Also, note that all current versions of OpenSprinkler have a built-in relay (5V coil voltage, contact rating 120V / 2A and more recent version 240V / 3A). I would be cautious to use them to actually switch power-line devices, because the PCB traces are probably not thick enough to run a high amount of current at 110V. But they can perfectly switch low voltage (like 40V or below) devices.

Regdone
    Participant

I modified OS for a friend of mine, who want to use it also for christmas lights. To use an easy to find 12VDC power supply and 12VDC relais on outputs for it, I changed the 8 triacs on output in 8 npn transistors and resistors R1 to R8 in 10kohms. It works fine.
    To note the polarity of power supply, I marked the connectors red and blue.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

OpenSprinkler Forums Pictures and Creative Use OpenSprinkler with Relays for Christmas Light control