OpenSprinkler Forums OpenSprinkler Unified Firmware OS3 Does not connect to wifi and cannot be factory reset.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

dun4cheap
    Participant

So I have over 19 OS units, most of them are OS3 but I have some 2.3 and a 2.2 unit from my early testing. A few months ago we had some power failures back to back. Two of my os3’s stopped being able to connect to my wifi. I also could not factory reset them. I sent them to Ray, and he said that I possibly installed the wrong FW on them which was certainly not the case. The devices appeared to still retain their programming. In any event Ray reprogrammed them via usb and sent them back. Which Ray has always been great support. Yesterday I had another OS3 controller go down. Similar situation but the repeated power interruption was caused by one of my maintenance workers. I had to reinstall the firmware from usb. I have not seen this in any of my other versions of OS just OS.

Something just seems to corrupt the firmware after a power surge. So if you run in to this, there is information in the support tab on how to update firmware on the OS3 via usb which will at least get you up and running.

Ray
    Keymaster

I will post instructions here shortly, but I am curious to find out the cause of this. You could export your configurations to a file and attach it to your support ticket, so I can take a look at if something stands out in the configurations. Normally the firmware shouldn’t be corrupted as it’s stored in flash memory. I wonder if the problem is the WiFi SSID or password got corrupted or lost for some reason, well that doesn’t really explain why factory reset doesn’t work. In any case, checking the configuration might provide some hints.

Sorry, I forgot that it can’t connect to your WiFi: does reset to AP mode work? I think it’s B3 + B2 and confirm with B3, that would reset the controller in AP mode. It might still be a flash memory issue that I don’t quite understand.

dun4cheap
    Participant

Ray, next time it happens I will try AP mode. At this point I re-flashed it already. By the way , the oled screens on these are all failing. You replaced the 2 on ones I sent you. These are all in weather proof boxes. I am only seeing this on the OS3 models.

dun4cheap
    Participant

So the one that I reset this morning, I tried to put it ap mode and it just goes to a black screen. pressing B3+B2 and powering on.

Ray
    Keymaster

Yes some of the OLED screens on earlier batches are not great and we have since then switched supplier. These are often difficult to predict ahead of time so only time can tell. If you have any more broken OLEDs, you can send a support ticket so we can send you replacements. Or, maybe it’s easier to just get a bunch of these as backup: if you search for 0.96″ OLED I2C on aliexpress.com or amazon.com you can get these for a couple of dollars with shipping included. We strive to use parts which can be easily sourced online and popular among open-source communities so that the replacement parts are easy to obtain as well.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

OpenSprinkler Forums OpenSprinkler Unified Firmware OS3 Does not connect to wifi and cannot be factory reset.