OpenSprinkler Forums Hardware Questions OpenSprinkler Bee (OSBee) OSBEE hardware questions

Tagged: 

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Tablet
    Participant

Hello,

I have some doubts about OSBEE.
    – Can the H bridge operate with 3V?
    – Is the osbee capable of providing one ampere, or more, for the solenoids with 5v of arduino?
    – Can it work with 9V latch solenoid? because the output voltage boster is 24V. I saw in the cpp file that the output voltage can be programable.
    – Finally, if I use a 9V battery How many times I can activate and deactivate the solenoid? more or less. It is to estimate the battery life.

Thanks,
    Regards.

Ray
    Keymaster

– “Can the H bridge operate with 3V?”
    This question isn’t very clear. Do you mean if H bridge can be controlled with 3V logic signal? The answer is yes, and is what OSBee does. It uses a high-side switch (NPN transistor + P-channel MOSFET) to allow logic-level control signal.

– “Is the osbee capable of providing one ampere, or more, for the solenoids with 5v of arduino?”
    The H-bridge itself is capable to driving up to 3 amp, however, OSBee is primarily designed for latching solenoid valves, which only require momentary high current to open or close. Its PCB traces are not designed to sustain high current over a long time.

– “Can it work with 9V latch solenoid? because the output voltage boster is 24V. I saw in the cpp file that the output voltage can be programable.”
    Yes it can. First of all, the boost voltage is software adjustable — it defaults to 24V, but you can easily change it to 9V by lowering a parameter. Second, even if you don’t adjust the boost voltage, it works fine with 9V latching valve — the energy from the capacitor is dumped to the valve in a very short amount of time, so a moment of voltage higher than specification is totally fine.

– “Finally, if I use a 9V battery How many times I can activate and deactivate the solenoid? more or less. It is to estimate the battery life.”
    If you exclude the power consumption of the Arduino itself, just activating/deactivating the solenoids require very little power, so I would imagine a 9V battery can open/close valves many hundred or thousands of times. However, Arduino is likely to be your major bottleneck in power consumption.

Tablet
    Participant

Hello,
    Thanks for resolve all my questions. The only doubt is the battery life,
    I have thought of using an arduino compatible. In other words, I make a pcb with only linear regulator, atmega328p and compatible pins then the consumption of microcontroller is very less (while sleeping a few microA).

Regards.

Ray
    Keymaster

OK, as long as the microcontroller is mostly in sleeping mode (and the peripheral circuit does not consume significant current), the battery life should be pretty good. Unless if you are opening / closing valves very frequently, I think the battery life is still dominated by microcontroller consumption.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

OpenSprinkler Forums Hardware Questions OpenSprinkler Bee (OSBee) OSBEE hardware questions