OpenSprinkler Forums Hardware Questions OpenSprinkler Pi (OSPi) Platform choice: Opensprinkler vs. OSPi

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

bob

Hi,

Am about to order an OS to control 6 stations, but am not sure which platform to go for. Any answers to the following questions would be very helpful to me:

I’m comfortable configuring Pi’s, so that’s not a problem, my 2 most important factors are reliability and being “future-proof”. Is it correct to assume that flexibility going forward will be greater with the Pi version (because of memory and storage expandability etc) ?

Should one expect any difference in reliability between the two platforms?

Is there any difference in power draw between the two platforms (I’m in Europe and energy is expensive here….)?

Any other considerations which should be taken into account when choosing a platform?

Unrelated question: Does OpenSprinkler offer intelligent watering based on predicted weather (eg. watering is scheduled for today, however, given a forecast for significant rain tomorrow, today’s watering is skipped )?

Many thanks in advance,

B

scottsh
    Participant

This is just my opinion but…

In terms of development and future proofing, the OSPi is clearly advantaged. Active development is ongoing on different applications and plug-ins as you can see in this forum. Also, if you are capable you can contribute to the solution easily. One of the apps is developed in python, the other in C++. It is just easier to write code for than the Arduino (and I have done both.)

In terms of reliability, the advantage goes to the Arduino version. Nothing against the Pi, but a microcontroller solution is just more reliable in my experience. The OSPi has some unique issues with storage (you need a high quality SD card to handle lots of writes) and networking (that WiFi dongle is notoriously challenging.) If you want a rock-solid controller that you can set and forget, this is the solution for you.

The Arduino version draws less power. The Pi draws about 5W while the Arduino uses about 1.5W. I wouldn’t choose the Arduino because of this though. It feels like a minor consideration.

The type of intelligent watering you mention is being developed in the OSPi version. I don’t see this being worked on for the Arduino variant but I don’t follow that as closely.

Scott

bob

Thanks Scottch!

The type of intelligent watering you mention is being developed in the OSPi version. I don’t see this being worked on for the Arduino variant but I don’t follow that as closely.

This is very good news and reason enough to choose that platform. Where I live, the Pi’s higher power draw over 6months/year operation only needs to be compensated by 2m3 of water saving to break even. Intelligent watering should easily cover that.

Thanks again for your help.

b

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

OpenSprinkler Forums Hardware Questions OpenSprinkler Pi (OSPi) Platform choice: Opensprinkler vs. OSPi