OpenSprinkler Forums Comments, Suggestions, Requests Please show IP address of OpenSprinkler

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Stephen
    Participant

I have just updated my OpenSprinkler Pi to the most recent version, using the “git pull” method, and am now running version 2.2.2 (2015-01-13) which can be seen in the bottom right-hand corner of the login and main screens.

In the next release, would you please consider adding the device’s IP address just underneath the CPU Temp and Software version. I know that most of us might use the IP address to log into the device, and therefore already know the device IP address, but I think it would be a nice addition to the GUI.

(ps: I tried to add an image to this post to help explain this, but could not squash it down below the 2048k image size limit!)

djagerif
    Participant

I think that might be difficult as the Raspberry Pi can have multiple interfaces. In my case I use both Ethernet and USB Wireless connections and there is no way that I know of that OSPi can determine which one is used for OpenSprinkler traffic.

If you only use one interface it shouldn’t be too hard to get. What I did in a previous project was to search the routing table for the default gateway and which interface is associated to it. This gave me the ‘Main’ interface IP as the other was used for more specific stuff.

Ingo

Stephen
    Participant

Ingo,

Thanks for your reply. Perhaps then to cover more users, the GUI could show a permanent optiion for:

wlan0:
    eth0:

in the interface, the OSPi could show both IP addresses if detected? In my case then, it would show:

wlan0: 192.168.1.100
    eth0:

and in your case, for example (using whatever your IPs are…)

wlan0: 192.168.1.100
    eth0: 192.168.1.64

That’s not perfect, but would cover most users using 1 or 2 interfaces into the Raspberry Pi.

Ray
    Keymaster

Well, it’s a chicken-egg problem: to see the web GUI you need to know the IP address first. The pre-configured SD card image is actually set to register host name ‘ospi’ with your network, so you can just use http://ospi or http://ospi:8080 to access it. However, I found that the host name registration is not always successfully on all routers — I’ve seen cases where this doesn’t work.

Rudolph Terblanche
    Participant

Also get interesting if you use something like dyndns .

I connect to the dns name so don’t know the ip address and that might be different between my internal and external network.

Stephen
    Participant

Ha – and I thought that my setup was tricky!

Let’s forget this idea/suggestion for now. I did not consider so many variables before asking the question! I’ll just concentrate on adding a few more valves to my existing sprinkler pipes.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

OpenSprinkler Forums Comments, Suggestions, Requests Please show IP address of OpenSprinkler