OpenSprinkler Forums OpenSprinkler Mobile and Web App Port forwarding on non-standard port

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

m100psi
    Participant

Hi,

I was already forwarding to an ESP8266 device on port 80 externally, so I initially tried port forwarding by setting the OpenSprinkler IP for port 80 internally and port 111 externally. That didn’t work so I thought maybe the internal and external ports had to match. In the OS web config, I set the device to use port 111, and updated port forwarding on the router to use port 111 both internally and externally.

Now I can’t connect to the device’s web config (from inside the network) on either port 80 or port 111. Any feedback on why this is, the easiest way to get access back to the device (preferably without losing all my settings), and the best way to handle forwarding to a port other than 80 in general?

Thanks,
    Matt

Ray
    Keymaster

First, you are right that internal port and external port do NOT need to be the same: you can map external port 111 to OpenSprinkler at port 80. The only exception I’ve seen is that occasionally some routers require external and internal ports to be the same, in which case you will have to change OpenSprinkler’s port to 111 as well. Generally this happens on old routers which do not give you an option to specify internal port.

I am not sure if 111 might be a reserved port, but you can try something more typically, like port 8080, or 8000 or 8888. Again, set your router to map external port 8080 to OpenSprinkler at port 80 (make sure 80 is your OpenSprinkler’s port). Then you can use external_ip:8080 to access the controller.

Some routers will block external IP access if the request is coming from inside the network. So the best way is to use your phone’s mobile network to access it through external IP.

m100psi
    Participant

Hi Ray,

Thanks for the info. Unfortunately, nothing I do allows me to access the device on port 111 either internally or externally. How can I reset the port on the device? I tried holding B2 during startup, but it only allowed me to scroll through the saved settings.

Matt

robi
    Participant

Use port numbers higher than 1024.

Ray
    Keymaster

If you have already assigned port 111 to OpenSprinkler, just access it with:
    http://x.x.x.x:111
    where x.x.x.x is your OpenSprinkler’s device IP. Then go to Edit Options -> Advanced, change the HTTP port, and reboot.

m100psi
    Participant

Understood, but that’s what I cannot do. It must be a restricted/reserved port for some reason as you mentioned earlier. Even from within the LAN, although I can see the device and its IP in my router config, I can’t access it using that format. So I’m looking for a hardware method to reset to default.

Thanks,
    Matt

Ray
    Keymaster

Ok, looks like you will have to perform a factory reset. The user manual documents the factory reset procedure, but the quick version is:
    – power off the controller, then power it back on, and as soon as you see ‘OpenSprinkler’, press and hold the first push button B1, continue holding B1 until the LCD screen displays ‘Factory reset?’. Make sure the answer is ‘Yes’. Then press and hold the third push button B3 until the controller reboots and completes resetting. The port will be recovered to 80. As robi said, use a port above 1024. For example, 8000, 8080, 8888 etc are pretty common ones.

m100psi
    Participant

OK, thank you. Will try tonight.

Matt

m100psi
    Participant

Using external port 8081 and internal port 80 worked after the factory reset. Thanks for the help.

Matt

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

OpenSprinkler Forums OpenSprinkler Mobile and Web App Port forwarding on non-standard port