OpenSprinkler Forums OpenSprinkler Mobile and Web App Port Forwarding Problems

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

Am having trouble setting up port forwarding to be able to remotely access open sprinkler. I have followed the Open Sprinkler guide for this and a few others as well. I have am able to access the port and open sprinkler when the device accessing is on the same internet connection (wifi at home) but not when on alternative internet connection or via my phone remotely e.t.c. Is there a trouble shooting guide or some relevant resource someone can point me to for working thru this ? All the ones I have tried seem to indicate it should work using whatever tests they have.
    I am using a WNDR3800 flashed with gargoyle router attached to a satellite internet connection. The latest guide I have used to trouble shoot was this :- http://www.pcwintech.com/common-problems-fixes-port-forwarding
    All help appreciated.

wyone
    Participant

I am following this as I am having a similar issue. I know I had port forwarding work at my other house, but cannot make it work since we moved. I have checked and it says the port is open. I used what is my IP to find what my router IP uses. When I try using that IP address I continually get an error message that I cannot connect. I am feeling dumb here as I know I made it work previously. I have tried this on my Laptop with Windows 10 and also on my Samsung S7 and neither will letme log in unless I use wifi or the local LAN. I know it is not nearly as hard as I am making it, but if anyone has any ideas I would certainly appreciate the help.

Thanks in advance
    Mitch

Ray
    Keymaster

Here are some of the key aspects of port forwarding. As the guide mentions: port forwarding maps an external IP : external port to internal (i.e. OpenSprinkler’s) IP : internal (i.e. OpenSprinkler’s) port.

1. The external port can be almost any number you want to assign (as long as it doesn’t conflict with other ports if you are port forwarding other devices).

2. The internal port must match OpenSprinkler’s port. By default this port is 80, and there is no need to change it actually. The only reason you would want to change it is if your router requires the external port and internal port to be exactly the same, and you don’t want 80 to be the external port. This is unusual as most modern routers allows the external port to be independent of the internal port.

3. Your external IP address has to be a public IP (i.e. reachable over the Internet).

If you still can’t solve the problem, submit a support ticket and we can help you. I’ve called several users and walked them through the setup and they all successfully set up port forwarding in the end.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

OpenSprinkler Forums OpenSprinkler Mobile and Web App Port Forwarding Problems