OpenSprinkler Forums Hardware Questions OpenSprinkler Pi (OSPi) Possible to interlock masters?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

JimS
    Participant

Have two zones set up as master valves. One powers a pump relay, the other a city water supply. I usually use the pump but if there is pump trouble or for special situations I use the city supply.

The pump had an intake fitting break so it had no water source. Told my wife to use the city supply temporarily. Looks like she didn’t change the master and started the zone and then also started the city supply zone so the pump was still energized with no water so I think I have a pump repair to do.

Is there any simple way to interlock this somehow in the settings? I think I recall that might be a setting to prevent more than one zone (other than the master of course) from running at the same time.

The obvious hardware solution would be to run both supply control signals (pump relay and master valve from city supply) from one zone output with a SPDT switch so only one was possible at a time. It wouldn’t be available from the app but that’s not a big deal for my situation. But wondering if I could do it with some settings.

lordshandyman
    Participant

How could the system interlock masters automatically? How would the system know that your pump was out of service? I suppose if you have a flow meter, and use a IFTTT (If This Then That) service, you could monitor water flow and If no water flow, then disable s1 and enable s2? But I have no clue how to implement that or if it is even possible. This would be terribly complicated. Perhaps if you know you have a failure, you could manually do the following until a repair is made.

Each zone gets none, one or two masters assigned to it. If s1 is your pump supply (set as Master Valve 1) and s2 is city water (not set to master since you don’t normally us it), and your pump fails, just go into “Edit Options”, “Configure Master – Master Station 1” and change if from s1 to s2. Now all zones will use s2 (city water) as their water source until you change it. When you fix your pump, go back into “Configure Master – Master Station 1” and change if from s2 to s1 and all zones will use pump supply water. This way your wife won’t have to remember anything and all changes are done programmatically which can be remotely. No need to physically visit the controller to make physical changes like removing or switching wires. Just make sure you don’t program s2 with a time thinking it is a sprinkler zone.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

OpenSprinkler Forums Hardware Questions OpenSprinkler Pi (OSPi) Possible to interlock masters?