OpenSprinkler Forums Hardware Questions Power Supply

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

choncba

Hello everyone, I’m designing my own version of the irrigation controller, and I’ll make changes to be programmed manually without going online, because the installed place is very remote and has no access to the web.
    I will use one ATMEGA328 that works perfectly to 5V, but the ENC28J60 that requires 3.3v will not be incorporated into the PCB, it will be an optional module with its own 3.3V regulator.
    Other basic components (DS1307, LCD16x2, 74HC595) all operate with 5V too.
    It is possible to run the entire PCB with 5V and NOT use the linear regulator 3.3v?

Greetings -.

choncba

@choncba wrote:

Hello everyone, I’m designing my own version of the irrigation controller, and I’ll make changes to be programmed manually without going online, because the installed place is very remote and has no access to the web.
    I will use one ATMEGA328 that works perfectly to 5V, but the ENC28J60 that requires 3.3v will not be incorporated into the PCB, it will be an optional module with its own 3.3V regulator.
    Other basic components (DS1307, LCD16x2, 74HC595) all operate with 5V too.
    It is possible to run the entire PCB with 5V and NOT use the linear regulator 3.3v?

Greetings -.

This is the schematic from my power Supply (without the 3.3v linear regulator)

Ray
    Keymaster

You said ‘I’ll make changes to be programmed manually without going online’, which made me curious why you still need ENC28J60 (the Ethernet controller) — I thought you mean program the controller with buttons and not with a web interface.

In any case, OpenSprinkler is designed to work at 3.3V. For example, the microcontroller, 74HC595, ENC28J60, microSD card, all work at 3.3V. It does have a 5V line because DS1307 and 1602 LCD require 5V, but these can both interface with a 3.3V microcontroller.

choncba

@ray wrote:

You said ‘I’ll make changes to be programmed manually without going online’, which made me curious why you still need ENC28J60 (the Ethernet controller) — I thought you mean program the controller with buttons and not with a web interface.

In any case, OpenSprinkler is designed to work at 3.3V. For example, the microcontroller, 74HC595, ENC28J60, microSD card, all work at 3.3V. It does have a 5V line because DS1307 and 1602 LCD require 5V, but these can both interface with a 3.3V microcontroller.

Ray thank you very much for the response, the Ethernet module will separately as optional, the irrigation controller will not use an embedded web server, I will use TCP protocol from a webserver to see the status of irrigation and command it remotely (Similar to the operation of Open Sen.Se). I find it much more efficient due to the limited memory capacity of the microcontroller.
    But as I said above, is optional and external to the main board.

Greetings -.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

OpenSprinkler Forums Hardware Questions Power Supply