OpenSprinkler Forums OpenSprinkler Mobile and Web App Problems with Weather Updates ET method

This topic contains 10 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Phil Maron 6 days, 5 hours ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

Phil Maron
    Participant

I’m sorry if this has been discussed elsewhere but I have searched and not found any resolution to my issues.

I recently switched to the ET method from Zimmerman because it seems a more widely accepted method and initially it provided the data however after a few days I noted that the data was not updating. I have tried rebooting but this makes no difference and the last successful update after a reboot simply shows: –. If I switch back to Zimmerman and save and then switch again to ET again it initially provides data but again never updates successfully. Can anyone please help me to troubleshoot as I am at a loss.

My System is Hardware Version 2.3 – AC running firmware version 2.1.7.
    Thanks in advance

Ray
    Keymaster

Whether you use Zimmerman or ET, the watering percentage number updates only once a day. Does the number not change over multiple days?

Phil Maron
    Participant

From what I have seen it does not when set to ET but it definitely does when set to Zimmerman. I have just set the method back to ET as I had reset it to Zimmerman and I noticed that the last call showed an update at the time that I set it but the last successful call was showing as some time earlier. I will monitor it over the next couple of days and reconfirm whether or not it is updating since I was not sure how frequently it is supposed to update. Thanks for the response Ray.

Ray
    Keymaster

The other thing to make sure if that you have chosen a baseline ETo value. Without baseline ETo, the ET algorithm will return an error hence the numbers will not update.

Phil Maron
    Participant

Thanks Ray. Yes I had checked this because I read that comment from you elsewhere. Anyway, still no successful weather call since before I set it to ETo. It currently reads Last weather call Sun, 4 Aug 2019 3:24:36 and Last Successful weather call Sat 3 Aug 2019 5:35:12 which is about an hour before I changed over to ETo.

Ray
    Keymaster

You should check if your weather script is set to point to weather.opensprinkler.com
    Go to http://x.x.x.x/su
    where x.x.x.x is your OpenSprinkler’s IP address. There you can see if the weather script url is correct. Other than this, I really can’t think of any other reason why it gets Zimmerman successfully but not ET.

Phil Maron
    Participant

Thanks for your help Ray but unfortunately it hasn’t helped. I checked that URL and it does point at weather.opensprinkler.com. Is there nothing else I can check?

Phil Maron
    Participant

OK, just an update. I decided it was probably worth giving the unit a factory reset to see if that would make any difference. After doing that I restored the settings from a backup and found that there was no change. I then reset to factory default a second time but this time I re-entered all of my settings manually. So far from what I can see it’s all working. If I reboot the unit it seems it will always make a weather call and at this stage that always seems to be successful. I will monitor it for a few days and see how it goes.

Importantly, I should point out that before doing a factory reset I noted that I was actually having the same issue with the Zimmerman method. On further testing I suspect that caching of my web browser (Google Chrome) is likely to have distorted my findings because unless I force a re-read of the page, I can’t always see updates. I first discovered this when trying to manually enter settings. After saving my changes I would go back and look at them and find that they appeared not to have changed but after forcing a refresh, the setting had in fact changed.

cody.hargreaves
    Participant

Im having similar trouble. I set my weather adjustment to ET a couple weeks ago when this update came out. My watering percentage was initially set to 137% and has not changed sense. While that setting is decent for this time of year, I’d assume it would change a little. We’ve had some days of heavy rain, and some really hot days.

cody.hargreaves
    Participant

I changed my weather adjustment to Zimmerman and it immediately changed the watering % to 63%. Now it shows a last successful weather call. Changed back to ET and no change. Still at 63%

Phil Maron
    Participant

This sounds a bit like what was happening to me but it was a bit confused because I found out half way through that my browser at times needed a forced refresh of the page for me to see the current setting. Anyway, I know it seems drastic but since performing a factory reset and recreating all of my stations and programs it all works as it should. Not a nice solution but it’s the one that I found resolves the issue.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

OpenSprinkler Forums OpenSprinkler Mobile and Web App Problems with Weather Updates ET method