OpenSprinkler Forums Hardware Questions OpenSprinkler Pi (OSPi) Questions about OSPI in France

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

julien.jeany
    Participant

Hi everyone,

First, sorry for the probable bad english, it’s not my native language.

I’m having trouble deciding what to do for my setup:
    – I wanted to buy an OSPI board. Since the board will be standalone, I thought that a RPI 1 B+ would be more than enough. Thing is, those are amazingly hard to find in France, and are right now more expensive than RPI 3
    – If I’m going for a RPI 3 + OSPI setup, will a 24V AC (240V input) will be enough to power the cards ? I’ve read that some are having trouble with this setup
    – Considering all of the above, I’m starting to wonder if I should go with an AC OpenSprinkler controller (no Pi)… I guess it has more reliability, but lacks the power of RPI possibilities when it comes to programming extensions ?

Thanks for your replies and your feedback,

Julien

Emmanuel
    Participant

@julien and what about a pi2 + OSPI ?

Ray
    Keymaster

My main concern is with the rather large current consumption of RPi 3. OSPi was originally designed to output only 500mA at 5V voltage, and now increased to 1amp. But RPi 3 seems to require a much higher peak current. Some users have reported success using RPi 3, but I would personally recommend RPi 2 A+, B+, or RPi zero. I understand the build-in WiFi on RPi 3 is desirable, but I am concerned that even our next batch of OSPi (which is designed to output 1.5amp @ 5V) may not completely meet the spec of RPi 3.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

OpenSprinkler Forums Hardware Questions OpenSprinkler Pi (OSPi) Questions about OSPI in France