OpenSprinkler Forums Hardware Questions OpenSprinkler Running OpenSprinkler with Rainbird controller in parallel?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

dkkim
    Participant

Hello all,

Posting here as I think the question is general to OS.

I have been using Opensprinkler (the Pi version) for a number of years, fairly happily. We use the extender for more zones. Using the AC versions with a master valve, flow sensor, baccara geva valves, etc. Had the controller in my office with wiring run inside.

We’re going to be renting the house and I’m handing over practical orchard and lawn management to a landscaper/orchardist. He’s more familiar with rain bird and I’m hesitant about relying on tenants to maintain any WiFi (my network infrastructure is very sophisticated but I’m trying to dumb down requirements).

So I purchased a Rainbird ESP series controller with extensions and am putting the whole system outside. I have a weather proof box that can accommodate both the Opensprinkler Pi and separately the Rainbird. The idea is that I can revert to the OSPi if we move back in, but the Rainbird is more familiar and can use but does not require networking.

My question:

-How about wiring both in parallel? Can keep the Opensprinkler quiescent and potentially engage it as necessary? I think I’d need isolates on the master valve and common.

-otherwise, I’d probably just manually move the wiring when needed.

Any thoughts or prior experience appreciated.

Thanks,
    David

DaveC
    Participant

I asked about this kind of operation a while back. Ray’s response may address your question.
    https://opensprinkler.com/forums/topic/coexistence-of-an-os-with-a-hunter-pro-c/

I implemented the 2-controller solution, but it requires manual intervention to switch from one controller to the other. I used phoenix connectors to create an easy way to switch from one controller to the other.

dkkim
    Participant

Thank you @DaveC for the quick reply!

I thought about a hard mechanical switchover. I found a number of items searching for “phoenix connector” and “phoenix connector switchable”. Did you use a multi-bank type connector like this and run jumpers manually? https://www.phoenixcontact.com/en-us/products/terminal-blocks

Some further searching yesterday found this product also:
    https://easyirrigationrepair.com/isolator
    with some videos showing how to place it to isolate either a master valve or the common lead of a set of solenoids.
    It *seems* as if I might be able to do both (with two units) in this application, as the isolator would likely interrupt flow back through the 2nd controller, but I’ll have to sit down with some paper and circuit diagrams and think a bit further first.

Ray’s answer in that other thread makes sense, from general principles. Still would give me the willies… if there were a programming error, I’d guess you’d get either 0 or 48VAC depending on whether the two sources were in or out of phase (assuming two separate transformers on the same AC main).

David

DaveC
    Participant

Since I only typically need to switch the controllers a couple of times per year, startup and blowout, I used a very simple, manual mechanism that isolates the controllers.
    Each controller is in its own enclosure with wire bundles that come over to the separate ‘switch’ enclosure and are terminated on phoenix plug blocks (e.g. 1792388).
    The valve wire bundles come into the ‘switch’ enclosure and are terminated on phoenix receptacle blocks (e.g. 178867) screwed to the internal plate.
    https://www.phoenixcontact.com/en-pc/products/printed-circuit-board-connector-mvstbu-25-16-gb-508-1788677

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

OpenSprinkler Forums Hardware Questions OpenSprinkler Running OpenSprinkler with Rainbird controller in parallel?