OpenSprinkler Forums OpenSprinkler Unified Firmware Self Test stops after 3 Zones

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

seockwig
    Participant

Found a small issue today when I was tidying my OS install. I needed to disconnect my zones wires to just clean things up and make the install look a little nicer. When I finished putting everything back together I figured I’d put the system through a zone self test on start up so I could verify everything was working. I held down B1 and it started the self test just fine. As I was in the yard watching for the zones I noticed everything stopped once it hit zone 4. Figuring I needed to tighten some wires back up I went back to the garage and noticed that the OS was at it’s standard start-up screen..showing the date/time and everything. So I shut the OS down and did the self test again; I stepped into the yard and watched zones 1,2 and 3 run successfully but again it stopped at zone 4. I hurried back to the garage and the device was booting to the normal start up screen again. Just to verify things I manually went though each zone using the app and each zone started just fine. I also did a quick program and everything again ran fine.

After I knew all my zones were working I did some further testing. I shutdown the OS and started the self-test again and stayed in the garage to watch it. It went though 1,2,3 and then it booted into the normal mode.

I changed the default time on the self-test on my OS from 10 seconds to 45 seconds. I found when I first setup OS last month that 10 seconds was to short for my zones on my hill to charge and activate any of the heads. I found 45 seconds was enough time for the zones to charge and activate the heads so I knew everything was working.

For more testing I changed the self-test timer back to 10 seconds and started the self-test again. This time it went through all the zones successfully. When I changed the timer back to 45 seconds…it again stopped after zone 3 and finished booting up. Is there some kind of timer that stops the self test after 90 seconds or so and then finishes the boot sequence?

I am running the current version of the firmware; v2.0.7. I know the self-test with a 45 second/zone worked on v2.0.5 of the firmware as that was the version that came installed on mine and that’s how I had it originally setup.

Thanks!

Ray
    Keymaster

Given you are running firmware 2.0.7, I think it’s probably the watchdog timer resetting the self-test. I am pretty sure the watchdog timer is enabled before self-test. This should be fairly easy to fix. Will post an update soon. In the meantime, I suggest that you use the Run-Once program or manual mode for testing purpose. As mentioned in another thread, the self-test is very rudimentary and is mainly used internally by us for testing zone functions.

seockwig
    Participant

That’s what I kind of thought.

For me it’s not a huge deal as I’ve only used the self-test a couple of times and everything else is working just fine with the controller.

I used the self-test when I did the initial install; I didn’t have the app running on my cell yet; and the other day when I disconnected and reconnected everything and that time it wasn’t behaving the way I expected it too. I don’t always carry my cell phone with me when I am at home so using the self-test was an easy way to see that everything is hooked up and working correctly.

I could also see where people might use the self-test when starting up the system in the spring as a quick check of the zones before going into the the full checking of the heads and such.

Thanks for taking a look into it.

Ray
    Keymaster

I have plan to replace the current self-test with a more useful feature that allows you to use buttons on the controller to run a program (including run-once program). This should be fairly easy to implement.

seockwig
    Participant

Looking forward to the update!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

OpenSprinkler Forums OpenSprinkler Unified Firmware Self Test stops after 3 Zones