Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Wokkeltje
    Participant

Currently there is a restart button, but it would be nice to have a shutdown button as well. Since raspberian and its SDCard are not verry happy with a hard shutdown, I like to perform a shutdown, but opening an ssh connection is not handy.

To be able to perform the shutdown from within the OSpi interface would be nice.

Thanks

Samer
    Keymaster

I’m assuming you want the sprinkler controller to turn after shutting down, correct? If so a shutdown button would require you to physically go power it back while a reboot would just fix the issue. Let me know if I’m misunderstanding.

Wokkeltje
    Participant

Indeed, a complete shutdown with manual action to start it again by reconecting it to the power cord.

Reason for the shutdown is maybe when you need to work on the powersupply or so.

Indeed in most cases a reboot is what you need, but a shutdown is sometimes needed.

Samer
    Keymaster

I really don’t think this will ever be used by anyone and don’t think it will be incorporated into the app. Furthermore, I worry if accidentally pressed, the manual intervention required will not be ideal.

However, I do think if you need this there is an underlying issue that should be addressed. Why are you needing to shutdown?

Wokkeltje
    Participant

Ok, no probleem.

I was thinking on this function because I needed to shutdown the unit to make a backup of my sdcard.

Will jeep using putty then

Samer
    Keymaster

You could setup a crontab job to backup your files on the SD and rsync or scp it to a remote destination. This way you don’t need to power down to perform a backup.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.