I have this setup as in the image attached. Problem with second cable is that it gradually started to fail, one wire after another (3 wires out of its 8 in 2 weeks). It did function OK however for a bit over an year since the irrigation system was installed. Is the RJ-45 extension connector (area marked in red) the main culprit for my issues or should I attribute it more to the distance to the second valve box and thin AWG of the wire ? It all looked good on the paper…
I have taken out the jacks and made the connections wire on wire. Worked.
Now, the red area sits inside of a valve box which sits in the ground… Could my issue have started from improper insulation, and if this is the case, what can I do to get a water tight connection ?
It’s not clear to me whether you are splitting the cable for extending the Ethernet connection, or are you using a Ethernet cable as a zone expansion cable? I know some users have been using a Ethernet cable to make a long extension cable that connects the main controller with expansion boards. From your diagram it’s not clear to me whether this is what you are doing or not.
no expansion boards involved, just regular UTP cat 5e cable extension via regular RJ-45 connectors.
I ended up replacing the two RJ-45 heads and it now works again. I think it is a humidity problem. Wish I put a whole length of cable instead of those two lengths and RJ-45 joints. Oh well… just ordered some waterproof RJ-45 female-female connector from ebay. Hope it will do the trick. Otherwise I shall be whining here for a shovel-free method of replacing those two lengths of cable with one piece. Wish me luck!