OpenSprinkler Forums OpenSprinkler Unified Firmware Strange problem, (at least strange to me)

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

gary
    Participant

I have had (2) ac2.3 OS for around 6 years. I keep a backup just for things like this
    It was running 2.19(7) for a long time, with no issues. I have not even had to reset it in probably over a year.
    Yesterday, i made some changes to some programs.
    The connection froze.
    I reset the power and tried again.
    It still froze.
    The zones were all still running, i just could not access the OS over the network
    Today, before I swapped it out for the backup I saw there was a firmware 2.19(9) and figured why not update backup before installing it(and maybe that had something to do with the freezing)
    The backup OS accepted the firmware update (i did not even lose programming)
    I swapped out the devices and the replacement seems to be fine so far.
    I connected the frozen OS inside and was able to see the screen and access it over the network.
    It seemed to now be fine, very strange, because before i swapped it out i tried it again and it did not work.
    So i figured since i had the firmware upgrade cable and “CMD” opened to avrdude already, i would attempt to upgrade the one that had problems, but now seemed maybe ok.
    I connected it, and it had the same COM port as the backup one.
    Ran the avrdude firmware updater and it got an error (something like “out of sync”).
    I ran it 2 more times and for those i got “verification error”
    I attached a screen shot

Ray
    Keymaster

I’ve occasionally seen this before. I am not sure what’s the root cause, but I think it has to do with the fuse bits settings. AVR microcontrollers have a notorious problem where in some cases if the fuse bits are programmed incorrectly it might require a high voltage programmer to reset that.

gary
    Participant

https://rayshobby.net/docs/os_manual.pdf

the manual says to not re-program the fuse bits.
    Page 12
    Do not re-program the fuse bits on OpenSprinkler v1.2 and above, as they have built-in USB programmer and are already programmed with the correct fuse bits.

But even if i broke the rules and wanted to do it, I don’t see any documentation how to reprogram the fuse bits? Can you point me in the right direction?

How could something like this happen? Is the OS fixable?

Ray
    Keymaster

If you have a AVR ISP programmer (like USBtinyISP, or USBASP), you can program the microcontroller directly without using the USB port on the controller. I think this may help fix the issue. If you don’t want to do this yourself, you can send a support ticket to support.opensprinkler.com and send the controller back to us so we can take a look.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

OpenSprinkler Forums OpenSprinkler Unified Firmware Strange problem, (at least strange to me)