OpenSprinkler Forums Hardware Questions OpenSprinkler Pi (OSPi) Surge resulting in controller not working

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Bobby
    Participant

I had a power surge recently and even though the open sprinkler is power sourced off of GFCI which kicked in, I cannot get the sprinkler controller to power on. Is the controller salvageable or is it gone?

Ray
    Keymaster

You posted this message under OSPi, so I assume you have a RPi-based opensprinkler. First, open the enclosure and check if there is any visible damage to components. Check the fuse (lower-left corner) to see if it is broken. If so, it may be as simple as replacing the fuse. Next, you should unplug the RPi and use a USB cable to check if it can power on. Let me know your findings.

Bobby
    Participant

Sorry, its not OSPi but I could not find the right forum. Anyway the products is OpenSprinkler v2.8. Is there a fuse in this unit that I can check?
    Looks like a burnt IC. Can it be replaced?

Ray
    Keymaster

Do you mean OpenSprinkler 2.0? There is no version 2.8 yet 🙂

Yes, the station 1 triac seem to have burned, and it can certainly be replaced. If you want to do self-diagnosis, here are my suggestions:
    1. use a multimeter to test the resistance between VIN-GND, and also between VCC-GND. Check the resistance values, they should be at least a few kilo-ohms. If they are below a kilo-ohm, something is shorted and probably more chips have to be replaced.
    2. use a diagonal cutter to cut the top three pins of the damaged chip (it’s a triac). this chip is likely to have shorted, and cutting the leads will isolate it from the rest of the circuit.
    3. try to use a USB cable to power the controller, see if the LCD lights up and displays messages.
    4. if the above passes, power the controller with 24V AC and check if everything is working fine.

The triac can be replaced with a soldering iron — even though it’s a surface mount component, it’s fairly large, and can be easily desoldered and re-soldered. If you need replacement parts, please send an email to [email protected].

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

OpenSprinkler Forums Hardware Questions OpenSprinkler Pi (OSPi) Surge resulting in controller not working