OpenSprinkler Forums Hardware Questions OpenSprinkler Pi (OSPi) Trouble configuring after install

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

daver

Hi everyone,

I just installed OSPi and everything went smoothly, until I tried to configure the OSPi web app.

I went to http://192.168.0.22/sprinklers/, which redirected me to http://192.168.0.22/sprinklers/install.php.

I entered the data as instructed, but when I submit it, I get the message:

“Settings have NOT been saved. Check the IP and Port and Try Again”

I read in other threads about port forwarding, but my ActionTec DSL Modem C1000A seems to not honor any changes I make with it on port forwards, so I’m looking for another solution here. What can I change on the Pi itself to change/fix this issue?

I tried making the config.php file by copying the existing config-example.php, but when I tried to login, there’s no account to use, so that didn’t work.

Thanks for any guidance you can provide here.

Samer
    Keymaster

Hey @daver! Fortunately, this is a very easy fix. You don’t need to port forward anything. Just use the IP 127.0.0.1 and the port 8080 for the OpenSprinkler IP:Port in the web app.

The 127.0.0.1 is your loopback interface which routes traffic back to the same machine. Since you are using the same Raspberry Pi for the interval program and the web app we can use the loopback.

The port 8080 is what the interval program uses by default. My web app is asking about this IP:port. This is because my web app communicates with the interval app.

Hope this makes sense and helps.

Update: Well, if you want to access the mobile web app outside of the home you port forward 80.

Samer
    Keymaster

This issue has come up enough and I decided to help resolve it by modifying the installer. It now detects if an interval program is running on the same machine. If so, it auto fills in the IP:port and password (default: opendoor). All you have to do now is enter a username / password.

To help delineate, when an interval program is found the OS IP/password renames to Interval Program (detected) and collapses. It’s header turns black (similar to advanced configuration) instead of the normal blue.

This combined with the new auto detection for config and log file location the install process should be a lot easier for Raspberry Pi users, hopefully!

daver

Hi salbahra,

I did what you said, and I’m not seeing any changes. I did the following combinations for IP:Port/Password on the OpenSprinkler fields:

127.0.0.1:8080/opendoor
    127.0.0.1/opendoor
    127.0.0.1:80/opendoor

I even tried different account names for the basic account info above.

Is something not running by default on the OSPi that should be? I only followed the steps outlined on this page: http://rayshobby.net/?p=6409 (under the section “How to Set it Up”).

Should I have done something else? I have rebooted the Pi after doing a clean shutdown (sudo shutdown -h now) immediately following install. That didn’t seem to help either.

EDIT: No difference between Firefox and Chrome, FYI.

Samer
    Keymaster

Did you perform this setup first: http://rayshobby.net/?p=6339

This is for the interval program, which is what actually controls the OpenSprinkler.

daver

Aha! I did not. I started from the page I linked above and ended up on this forum thread. Perhaps a hyperlink ensuring that those steps are followed first on that page would avoid this for future users. Once I started that, it’s totally working! Awesome.

Side question: How do I update my firmware? Is there a link on that? I see that mine is 1.8.2 now that the ospi.py is running.

Samer
    Keymaster

The interval program is currently at 1.8.2 (latest). I understand the changes in 1.8.3 and 2.0.0 are currently being worked in but in the meantime the best place to check for bug fixes etc are the forum.

The best way to update is to use Github and pull changes as they are announced. As things streamline I am sure the process will get easier. Right now a lot of new developers who have never worked with each other, using different languages and tools came together and built some epic things! But there are rough edges.

Hopefully Ray sees this and maybe updates that blog post. I asked because as I read it I realized a critical piece was missing. He did post a newer blog post however with a nice YouTube video! http://rayshobby.net/?p=6749

daver

Thanks for all your help Samer…the software looks great. I’m looking forward to diving in.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

OpenSprinkler Forums Hardware Questions OpenSprinkler Pi (OSPi) Trouble configuring after install