OpenSprinkler Forums Comments, Suggestions, Requests Using daily published ET data instead of Weather Underground?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

dlsen
    Participant

The local university publishes daily ET data, including lawn watering requirements.

The data is available at this site: Phoenix Area Turf Water Use Report

How would I go about setting up OpenSprinkler to use this data instead of the Weather Underground data?

Ray
    Keymaster

You will have to modify the firmware code to use custom weather data. You can start looking at weather.cpp:
    https://github.com/OpenSprinkler/OpenSprinkler-Firmware/blob/master/weather.cpp
    this is where the firmware sends weather requests and get back results. The “scale” parameter, in particular, carries the watering percentage. You can write a python script that retrieves the daily ET data, calculates the watering percentage, and modify weather.cpp to call that script instead of the default weather script on opensprinkler server.

dlsen
    Participant

Thanks Ray, I will give that a try. I have the OpenSprinkler 3.0, should I modify the Unified firmware, or is there a specific firmware and weather.cpp for the OS3.0?

Ray
    Keymaster

It’s unified firmware — the same firmware is compiled for all opensprinkler hardwares.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

OpenSprinkler Forums Comments, Suggestions, Requests Using daily published ET data instead of Weather Underground?